We often try to lose weight by the method of dieting, but only few of us actually manage to get through the tough process of dieting. Even then, dieting is still favored as one of the most effective means of losing weight. Today, obesity has become a common phenomenon with large number of population across the globe facing the trouble of carrying excessive weight. Obesity has become the major reason behind the world’s most lifestyle disorders, diabetes and hypertension. To lose weight, people often resort to unhealthy measures such as starving. Contrary to the popular belief, starving does not help to lose that excess mass build up. It rather makes the body vulnerable to diseases. Starving often leads to deficiency in calories and important nutrients inside the body, resulting in weakness and sudden drop in the level of oxygen inside the body.
Apart from this, resorting to fad foods that promise quick weight loss, provided one follows rigid menus and diet plans, is another measure that people often follow to shed off the extra kilos. This method encourages specific food combinations. However, weight loss is not always effective as this technique often results in wastage of time and money. Now, coming back to dieting, most of you would agree that starting the process of dieting is not equivalent to maintaining it. Lack of time, same uninteresting food, lack of taste and declining willpower are few of the reasons that leads to dropping the dieting midway. However, did you know that by following certain do’s and don’ts while on a diet can make your dieting process less tedious and more interesting. With the following lines, check out what to do and what to avoid when on a diet.
Healthy Dieting Tips
Dos Of Dieting
- The first and the foremost necessary measure that you need to resort to, before going on a diet, is to consult a dietician. Dietician is the best person to chalk out a dietary chart for you to follow.
- Make sure you eat healthy. Eating healthy is important while on a diet. Eat freshly cooked meals and avoid junks and carbs at all costs.
- Include lots of green vegetables foods like beans, spinach, carrots etc. green vegetables in your diet. These are full in nutrients and less in calories.
- Your snack palate should be full of fresh veggies and fruits. Fruits are an important source of potassium, which helps in lowering the blood pressure in the body.
- Do include whole grains in your diet. Whole grains like wheat, cheerios, raisin bran, oatmeal etc are good source of proteins and other important nutrients.
- Stock your kitchen with healthy foods so that you eat only healthy foods. Avoid packed foods and processed foods as they are full of fats and other preservatives
- Use low fat free products like fat free milk, yoghurt, cheese, eggs, dry beans and peas, white meat chicken, fish, etc. These foods are naturally less in fats.
- Do use vitamin capsules and mineral tablets as they fulfill the desired vitamins or minerals inside the body while on a diet.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water. Water replenishes the lost salts in the body as well as helps in maintaining the blood pressure inside the body. One can also try green tea as it is a very good antioxidant.
- Regular exercise is quintessential, as it increases the rate of metabolism, thus helping you burn fats inside the body.
Don’ts Of Dieting
- Don’t binge on food unmindfully. Overweight is caused by overeating, which, in turn, adds to the accumulated fats inside the body, making you obese. Don’t indulge in gluttony. Eat mindfully and you will eat healthy.
- Avoid fat enriched foods like butter, ghee and so on. These items are full of saturated fats and add additional calories and fats to the body.
- Shun junk foods by all means. Junk foods should be avoided when on a diet, as these food items are full of fats and are extremely unhealthy.
- Excessive eating of sweets is to be avoided while on a controlled diet. Sweets are enriched with sugar and fats. Excessive sweets add sugar inside the blood system, which might result in diabetes. Also, excessive sugar instead of getting transformed into energy gets stored in the body, thereby adding to the body weight.
- When on controlled eating, don’t indulge in red meat and other fatty meats. Red meat is full of fats and is harmful for the body.
- Don’t over indulge in alcohol as it is not only harmful for the body, but also makes you stout in no time. Overindulgence of alcohol often leads to alcohol abuse as well.