Swine Flu was a new word until it started attacking human beings mercilessly killing many as it passed on from country to country, like a cruel avatar of death. Scientists are still in the process of developing vaccine against it. By the time, this vaccination is found there will be another microorganism that can be the next cause to worry. You can’t expect a world without microbes until you get a clean air to breathe and cleaner water to drink. Even now, you might be thinking twice before you take a deep breath in a heavy traffic. You might be even afraid to breathe, as along with the air that you are breathing in, you are acquainting your body with yet to be nabbed deadly criminals called ‘germs’. This is the reason for the many oxygen hubs raised at various places; if this remains the condition in few more years to come, you will have to stand in queue like in petrol bunks for pumping in your daily dose of oxygen. However, air purifiers can be an answer to this irrepressible air pollution. Find out the merits and demerits of air purifiers.
Merits And Demerits Of Air Purifier
In a world where even the air inside your home is not germ free and breathable, an air purifier comes to the aid. Nevertheless, it also has its merits and demerits.
- Remove air contaminants from an indoor environment.
- They are capable of removing about 99.9 percent of any particle bigger than 0.3 microns.
- Reducing the effect of second hand smoke.
- Capable of cleaning dust, asbestos, pet dander pollen and such minute particles present in the air.
- Ionic air purifiers can be used to clear the minutest of particles present in the atmosphere.
- Ozone air purifiers can help remove foul smell in the atmosphere.
- They help remove chemicals present in the atmosphere that can cause allergic reactions in human beings, especially asthmatic patients.
- Protects the ventilation from dust and dirt.
- Reduce fire hazards from furnace and other heating equipments.
- Protect furnishings and room décor.
- Reduce housekeeping and building maintenance.
- It gets less efficient with time.
- It requires constant cleaning and maintenance.
- Ozone air purifiers and ionic air purifier can produce ozone and ions respectively, both of which can prove harmful when in close proximity with humans.
- It can be expensive when installed into the existing ventilation systems.
- Ionic air purifiers have only a limited range, so it needs to be installed in every room, which can prove heavy for your pocket.
- Air purifiers usually do not kill the fungi or germs completely, it only remove them from the atmosphere and a chance of disease causing germs prevailing inside the room cannot be completely ruled out.
- At times, certain purifiers can be noisy.
- Some filters need to be replaced frequently that can increase its cost.
- Not all air purifiers are perfect. if some are efficient in removing odors, it might not prove helpful for removing dust. Some may remove dust but not the germs.