Deep tissue massage is a type of massage therapy that concentrates on rearranging deeper tissue layers of the muscles and connective tissues. Reminiscent of the Swedish massage, this massage utilizes many of the same movements and techniques, though the pressure is usually more. Some of its strokes also resemble classic massage therapy, however, its movements are slow and the pressure is intense on tense areas. Deep tissue massage is especially useful for persistently tense and contracted areas, for example, stiff neck, lower back stiffness and sore shoulders. The main purpose of the massage is both corrective and therapeutic. It is aimed for loosening the fibers of a muscle, while releasing deeply held patterns of tension and toxins, thereby providing relaxation and rejuvenation. In the following lines, we have provided the importance of deep tissue massage as well as its benefits.
Importance Of Deep Tissue Massage
Just like other types of massage, deep tissue massage is extremely beneficial for the healthy living of an individual. It not only makes you feel good after the massage, but also makes the skin bright and glowing. When the muscles get stressed out after a hectic schedule, they block the oxygen and nutrients supply, thereby leading to build up of inflammation in the toxins. A deep massage helps loosen muscle tissues, releasing toxins from muscles and makes blood and oxygen circulate properly. Since deep tissue massage involves releasing of toxins, it is very important to drink lots of water after a massage session, to eliminate the toxins completely from the body.
Deep tissue massage is really beneficial in chronic pain, limited mobility, postural problems, osteoarthritis pain, fibromyalgia, muscle tension or spasm, and for quick recovery from injuries. Whenever there is any chronic muscle tension or injury, the problem is usually caused by adhesions (bands of aching, stiff tissue) in muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Adhesions are capable of obstructing circulation and causing pain, restricted movement, and swelling. Deep tissue massage works effectively by actually breaking these adhesions, to lessen pain and reinstate normal movement. To carry this out, the massage therapists normally use direct deep pressure across the muscles’ grain.
Benefits of Deep Tissue Massage
- One of the most popular benefits of deep tissue massage is that it eliminates the blocks that cause tightening of the muscle.
- This massage helps in increasing the circulation of blood, lymph cerebro-spinal and interstitial fluids
- This slow, but strong massage is especially helpful for athletes, who require extensive muscle conditioning.
- It not only loosens the muscles, but also helps in relieving the pain.
- Deep tissue massage helps in stimulating, conditioning and healing of muscle tissues.
- It is really useful in chronic pain, fibromyalgia, edema, muscle cramping, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.
- It helps muscle tissue stimulation in tense areas, which arise due to exerted pressure.
- You might be surprised to know that deep tissue massage helps in improving the functioning of the internal organs and any symptoms or diseases associated with them.
- Since the massage therapy gives a body rejuvenated feel and freedom from toxins and clogs, the posture and mobility of a person undergoing the massage also improves.
Who Cannot Undergo Deep Tissue Massage
- People who have undergone a surgery in the recent past should avoid deep tissue massage.
- Those with cardiovascular conditions and heart disease, especially in cases of thrombosis, phlebitis and oedema cannot undergo this massage therapy.
- Pregnant women and people with osteoporosis should also avoid the massage, unless advised by the doctor.
- Deep tissue massage is not permissible immediately after chemotherapy or radiation, unless it is recommended by the doctor.