Human body, like a car’s engine, needs warming up before a run. Doing warm ups like jogging, brisk walking and stretching are necessary to prepare the muscles in your legs, arms and back for the physical activity. Warming up before running ensures good performance and reduces the risk of injury as well. The warm up exercises should be done for at least 10 to 15 minutes before you set yourself for a race. In the following lines, you will know more about warm-ups before running.
How To Warm Up Before Running
- Stand up straight, place your left foot forward and bend its knee. The right knee should remain straight. Now, lean forward over your bent knee without bending at the waist. By doing this, you will feel a gentle pull in the calf of the back leg. Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat the step with the other leg. Do this warm-up exercise at least three times.
- Stand straight, bend down slowly and extend your arms to reach the toes. While doing this, keep your feet together and your knees straight. Hold the stretch for 20 seconds and repeat the step two to three times.
- Stand straight and place one of your legs on a chair. Now, lean forward from the hip, keeping both the knees straight. While doing this, make sure that you do not twist your hips. A gentle pull at the back of the leg will be felt. Hold this position and repeat the step with the other leg. Do this warm-up exercise at least three times.
- While standing straight, stretch your arms behind you and turn your palms to face out. Keep your elbows straight while doing this stretching exercise. Hold the position and repeat the step a couple of times.
- Sit straight, stretch out one of your legs and bend its knee. After crossing the other leg over it, use one of your arms to provide support for both the legs. Now, move your upper body towards the bent knee. Continue moving towards the bent knee until you feel a gentle pull. Position the opposite hand on the outside of the bent knee. Repeat the step a couple of times.
- Do light aerobics for 5 to 10 minutes before running. This will help relax the muscles and warm you up for a run.
- Cycling on a stationary bike is recommended. Jogging slowly and walking briskly are also considered good ways to warm up the body before running.