Warm up exercises are performed before proceeding with any rigorous physical activity. These are basically done to prepare your body for the strenuous physical activity, both mentally and physically. There are different ways of warming up your body like walking, skipping a rope, climbing stairs, performing warm up stretches, etc. Warm up stretches increases the body temperature and flexibility and reduce the chances for any injuries. These stretches cause dilation of the blood vessels, which reduce the resistance to blood flow, thereby reducing the stress on the heart. By warming up, your body increases the secretion of various hormones that are necessary for the regulation of energy generation. Follow the article below to find some simple warm up stretching exercises.
Warm Up Stretching Exercises
- Set your arms hanging loose by your side. Turn your head to one side and hold on for 5 seconds. Now, turn the head to the other side and hold for another 5 seconds. Repeat this 2 to 3 times. Similarly, tilt your head sideways to one side and then to the other. Hold the position on each side for 5 seconds. Repeat 2 to 3 times.
- Place your right hand on your left shoulder. Using your left hand, pull the right elbow across the chest towards the left shoulder. Hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. Repeat the same for the left hand.
- Interlace your fingers and pull the palms out. Extend your arms out in the front at shoulder height and stretch. Hold on for 10 to 20 seconds and relax. Repeat again.
- Place your arms overhead and hold each elbow with hand of the opposite arm. Slowly lean towards the side, while pulling the elbow behind the back. Allow your arm to feel the stretch. Hold for 10 to 15 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
- Stand and keep something nearby to hold your balance. Lift your right foot and rotate the foot and ankle 8 to 10 times, first clockwise and then anticlockwise. Relax and repeat with the left foot.
- Stand straight at some distance from the wall and place your left hand on the wall for support. Grasp the top of your left foot with your right hand. Gently pull the heel towards your buttocks and hold the position for 10 to 20 seconds. Thereafter, repeat on the other side.
- Stand straight and place your feet at shoulder-width distance. With flat heels, bent your knees slightly and hold the position for 30 seconds.
- Stand straight with feet at more than shoulder-width distance. Bend your right knee and move your left hip downwards towards the right knee. Hold the position for 10 to 15 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Sit on the floor and place your left leg straight out in the front. Bend your right leg and cross it over the left leg to reach your left knee. Now, bend your left elbow and rest it on the outside of the right knee. Place your right hand on the floor behind your hips. Turn your head over the right shoulder and rotate your upper body towards the right. Hold the position for 10 to 15 seconds. Repeat on the other side and breathe slowly, while performing this warm up stretch.
- Lie flat on the floor and extend your arms overhead. Stretch out the arms and legs in opposite directions for 5 seconds. Relax and repeat again.