Have you suffered from extra dry skin or skin that peels off after you use cleaning agents? Have you wished that there would be an alternative to help you retain the beauty of your hands and keep them soft? Well, nature does have an alternative and it is called soap nut, soapberry, reetha or even washing nut. Soap nuts contain saponins, which are a complete substitute for chemical detergents. These nuts can be used to clean absolutely anything - ranging from cloths and ornaments to household articles. Apart from being effective cleaners, soap nuts are gentle on skin as well as on the objects being cleaned. They prevent your skin from peeling or drying out, while you indulge in cleaning and also help keep your laundry fresh, with the colors on your clothes intact. There are no conditions as to the type of fabric that you can use them on. In short, you can benefit greatly by going natural with this god-given cleaner. Read on to know more all about the uses of soap nuts.
How To Use Soap Nuts
- Soap nut or soapberry is a gentle and eco-friendly way to rinse off the dirt from your clothes. All you have to do is grab four to five soap nut shells and tie them in a muslin bag or old clean sock. Dump the bag/sock into your washing machine and let it do its work. You can use this soap nut bag/sock for at least four to five washes, until it becomes mushy and grey. It would help to dry the nuts in between washes.
- You can also go for a liquid soap wash with soap nut. Just take 10-15 soap nut seeds and boil them in 6 cups of water. Let them simmer for around 30 minutes. Strain the liquid and store it in an airtight jar. The next time you wash your clothes, add 3 caps of liquid soap nut to your clothes. In this way, you will not have to dig out that little pouch of soap nuts after every wash.
- Soap nuts are perfectly safe for front load washers, as they create mild suds. You can put them directly in the wash can. However, if you are using liquid soap nuts, put them in the detergent box. You can also freeze the strained nut soap liquid into ice cubes and use them each time you laundry your clothes. Use at least two cubes per load of laundry.
- Soap nuts can be used as mosquito repellant too. Just spray some of the liquid (as described in the earlier step) on your hands and rub it on your bare arms and legs. It is safe for babies and pets too.
- You can also use the soap nut liquid soap to rinse your hair. It would definitely be much better than the chemical laden shampoos. Soap nuts are known to prevent dandruff and help against hair loss. Just apply the liquid on hair, leave it on for 5 minutes and then rinse off.
- Soap nut can be used to wash hands too. It is easy on your skin and cleans your hands without drying your skin. Just load the liquid soap nut in a regular pump bottle and use it every time you want to wash your hands.
- The nuts are great for your delicate clothes, lingerie and undergarments. Just add 2 tsp soap nuts liquid or powder to warm water and soak your clothes in it for some time. Rinse and allow them to air dry.
- Soap nuts can be used to clean bathroom tiles, kitchen sinks, floors etc. You can add a few drops of your favorite aromatic oil to add freshness.
- The nuts can also be used to clean windowpanes and mirrors. Just mix water and vinegar to soap nut liquid and spray it on glass panes and mirrors. Now, wipe them with a clean, dry cloth.
- You can also use soap nut on dishwashers. Load the soap dispenser with liquid soap nut and add vinegar. Your utensils will look as good as new.
- Soap nuts can be used to add sparkle your jewelry too. Soak the jewelry in liquid soap and scrub it gently with an old toothbrush. Rinse it and pat dry.
- Soap nuts are perfectly safe for your pets too. Just spray a little soap nut liquid on your pet’s fur. Not only will help in repelling the mosquitoes, but also make the fur soft and manageable.