Corn tortilla, most popularly used to make tortilla soup, is basically a type of thin, unleavened flat bread, which is made from finely ground maize (corn). Most popular in Mexico and Central America, it is known by the name of arepa in South America. Talking about tortilla soup, it is a thick soup that serves as the perfect accompaniment on chilly nights. Its rich, mouth-watering aroma is enough to stimulate your appetite, even if you have just had a meal. Tortilla soup tastes excellent both in the vegetarian as well as in the non-vegetarian flavor. In this article, we bring you two simple tortilla soup recipes, both of which can be prepared in minimum time and with less effort. Go through the recipes and make them yourself, to give a great treat for your family.
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb Chicken, cooked
- 1 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 29 oz Tomatoes, diced
- 15 oz Black Beans
- 6 cups Chicken Stock/ Broth
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Lime, halved
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- 6-8 tbsp Olive Oil
- 8 to 10 (6-inch) Corn Tortillas, cut into wedges or strips
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- First of all, place the cooked chicken on a flat surface and chop/shred it. Set it aside for later use.
- Take a large skillet and heat some oil in it, over medium heat. Add tortillas to the skillet and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add onion, garlic and cilantro to the tortillas and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until onions become translucent. Remove the skillet from heat.
- In a large pot, combine together diced tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans and spices. Place on flame and bring to a boil, over high heat.
- Add the tortilla-mixture to the pot, along with chicken, bay leaves and juice of half a lime.
- Reduce the flame and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat, take out the bay leaves and pour into bowls.
- Garnish with sour cream, avocado slices, shredded cheese and remaining lime slices.
- Serve hot.
- cups (about 10 ounces) Chicken Breast, shredded & cooked
- 1 ½ cups (about 16) Unsalted Tortilla Chips, baked & crushed
- 2 cans (14¼ ounce) Chicken Broth, no-salt-added
- 1 can (about 14.5 ounce) Tomatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 can Condensed Tomato Soup, reduced-fat & reduced-sodium
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- tbsp Jalapeño Pepper, seeded & chopped
- Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 cup Frozen Whole-kernel Corn
- tsp Ground Cumin
- tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- ½ cup Fat-free Sour Cream
- Heat the oil in a pan, over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, add garlic and onion to it and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Put the chicken into the pan and stir well. Now, add the remaining ingredients, except the cream and the tortilla chips.
- Mix all the ingredients properly and cook on low heat, for about an hour. Let the soup boil well and all the ingredients mix into one another.
- Once the soup is ready, pour it into bowls. Put tortilla chips and sour cream on the top and serve hot.