The old ‘miraculous’ grapefruit diet has often being dismissed as a fad. However, including grapefruit in your diet can give your weight loss a boost. It has been considered as nature’s gift for people who want to lose weight the healthy way. This fad itself can help you lose 10 pounds in just 12 days without starvation. The grapefruit diet is a quick weight loss plan that is built solely around the humble grapefruit. Also known as the Hollywood Diet, this diet has been in existence as early as the 1930s in the United States. This magical fruit when consumed with proteins, triggers fat burning and causes weight loss, due to loss of body fluids. The grapefruit is fat-free, low in calories and sodium and full of vitamin C. Studies reveal that grapefruit plays a vital role in the overall health and wellness. Read on to know the foods that are to be considered in a grapefruit diet plan and also check out the diet menu.
Grapefruit Diet Plan And Menu
Foods To Eat
Foods that can be consumed while following the grapefruit diet plan include bell peppers, green beans, broccoli, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, radish, carrots, tomatoes, red onions, chili without beans, coleslaw, hot dogs, chicken, bacon, fish, tuna, pork chops, cottage cheese, dried nuts, condiments, spices, herbs, salt, vinegar, pepper, lemon Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard.
Foods To Avoid
While following your grapefruit diet menu, avoid foods like celery, peas, cereal, chips, pasta, jam, low-fat salad dressings, pretzels, peanut butter, sweet pickles, and starchy vegetables like potato, corn, white onion, etc.
Grapefruit Diet Menu
Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, black tea or coffee with sugar substitute, ½ grapefruit or 8 ounces grapefruit juice without sugar
Lunch: Salad with salad dressing, unlimited meat, ½ grapefruit or 8 ounces grapefruit juice without sugar
Dinner: Red or green vegetables (except starchy ones like peas, beans, corn and sweet potatoes) or salad, unlimited meat or fish, 1 cup tea or coffee, ½ grapefruit or 8 ounces grapefruit juice without sugar
Bedtime Snack: 8 ounces skim milk or 8 ounces tomato juice
- Drink atleast 8 glasses of water daily.
- Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit or juice.
- Consuming grapefruit at every meal is essential, since it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.
- Do not consume more than 1 cup of caffeine at any meal, as it affects the insulin balance which, in turn, hampers the burning process.
- Avoid eating between meals.
- Cook food in generous amount of butter, especially on the vegetables.
- Avoid desserts, breads and white vegetables or sweet potatoes when on a grapefruit diet. Alternatively, you can have double or triple helpings of meat, salad or vegetables.
- Eat well until you are full. The more you eat the more weight you will lose.
- Follow the grapefruit diet for 12 days and give a gap of 2 days before repeating it again.