Have you ever bumped into someone whose truth seems to bear more holes than a slice of cheese? If so, then the person you are talking to maybe a pathological liar. While most of us never mind blurting out a lie just to save the day, there are few others for whom lying is a part of the day, same as brushing or sleeping. Pathological liars, as they are clinically delineated, are on a perpetual lie-spree, much so without any thought or inhibition. Most often they lie, not to cause harm, but with an innocent intention of sprucing up their self esteem. A pathological liar may externally appear as normal as any one of us, whereas in reality, he/she is often a depressed, low-spirited individual with a piteous self-esteem and vulnerable emotional existence. They are people who draw great comfort in lying and credibly convince others of their make-believe web of lies. Pathological liars are extremely good at their job of lying so much so that catching them lying may often be frustrating. However, acquainting oneself with a few telltale signs of pathological liars can prove extremely helpful to deal with this one-of-its-kind of disorder, both personally and medically. Read on to know how to identify a pathological liar.
How To Identify A Pathological Liar
- While it is never easy to trace a pathological liar, since they can trick you to trust them in the most convincing ways, one of the most obvious signs to watch out for is apparently their body language. Liars tend to twitch and turn a lot when lying, thereby sending out warning signals. Getting fidgety when interacting, making rapid eye movements, speaking too fast or too slow and covering face or mouth partially or completely, while talking, are some of the telltale symptoms of a liar.
- A pathological liar is more than tempted to tell a lie and in a way that most often one may fall for it quite naively. If you doubt that your friend is a pathological liar, keeping a keen eye on how he responds may often justify your doubts. Liars tend to balk a lot while conversing. Also, pathological liars can turn overly defensive, if countered.
- A pathological liar is likely to act quirky at times and exhibit vague responses. They may be totally inaccessible now and then and may refrain from communicating and exhibiting perplexing demeanor that may put their credibility to question. It is best to trust your instincts in such cases.
- Pathological liars are after all prevaricators and like every other fibber, can barely cover their deception for long. Most pathological liars love to fabricate stories to authenticate credibility, often to the point of exaggeration that might lead you to drop your jaws in wonder. If you frequently find yourself at awe with their many unbelievable stories and escapades, it is probably because they are untrue. Also, people with this disorder are likely to jumble up their far-fetched stories at times, thereby sending cues about their problem.
- Pathological liars unabashedly commit to lying without little thought or effort. However, at times, the disorder may be just a little more grave than just plain habit. It may often be the upshot of some grave mental complexity, clinically diagnosed as personality disorder, depression or bipolar disorder. It is seen that people suffering from a bipolar disorder are always undergoing mood swings that range from depression to a manic behavior. During this period, their impulsive behavior is switched on that forces them to lie through their nose.
- Pathological liars lie, more so to satisfy their deep dug craving for attention. Individuals who often wish to be at the center stage won’t stop at anything, even blurting out a string of white lies, to grab attention and hold ears. These types of liars lust for an audience and get a high off it which leads them to lie even more.