There are people who own a large house, but its contents are so haphazardly placed that the space looks all cluttered and small. On the other hand, there are couples who live in tiny apartments, but everything including the insignificant knick-knacks is so orderly kept that one can live quite decently there. This means that even you live or have to live in a small home or apartment; it doesn’t mean that you can adorn it well. Although decorating a small home is a very big challenge, it is not impossible. In fact, when decorated correctly, even a small space looks and feels more spacious. So, choose the décor for your small home intelligently and half your problem will be solved. Given here are some inspiring ideas and tips on how to decorate your small home.
Small Home Decorating Ideas
- Take the help of a professional interior designer or a home interior decoration book. This will help you plan out what furnishings will properly fit into your small apartment, without taking too much space.
- Opt for multi-purpose furniture. For instance, a bed that can fold up into a sofa set in the morning time. You could also do with a multi-shelved bookcase, one of whose horizontal doors can be opened flat to be used as a study table.
- Color co-ordination in small home is as, or perhaps even more, important than in bigger homes. Try to choose light, neutral colors for the walls, floor, ceiling, curtains and even furniture, as they provide a very roomy feel. Go for creams, taupe and soft yellows. The lighter the color, the larger the room will look. And avoid using dark colors as much as possible, because they seem to constrict space.
- Add mirrors where possible, as they can create an illusion of extra space in your home.
- Remove all your interior doors and closets and replace them with curtains, thus creating more space and adding to the overall appeal as well.
- To create an expansive feeling, choose track lighting that aims at walls, to free up the floor space.
- When selecting décor furnishing for small home or apartments, try sticking to the least fussy and compact looking items. Try making optimum use of odd-shaped corners in the house, by putting lampshades or bookcases there. Choose woodwork in light colors, like white oak, ash, maple, etc.
- Clean your windows regularly, so as to allow more light to come in and also to make sure that your view is not blocked.
- Transfer all music to your computer and sell your CDs, if possible, and go wireless to look less messy.
- When living in small home or space, try keeping the house as clean and organized as possible. This measure is most crucial, because otherwise all your efforts to decorate your hearth innovatively will go in vain. It should be the responsibility of each and every family member, not just of one person, occupying that house to keep it neat and clean. Start with your children, as they tend to scatter things the most. And make the most of the available space.