Cod liver oil is being consumed by people on an increasing basis, mainly because it is touted as the perfect cure for a wide range of medical conditions. Right from ailments like physical conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis, heart problems, eczema and even cancer to mental troubles like depression and psychosis, it is believed to be beneficial in treating almost every trouble. However, when not taken in the right way, in the right amount and by the right people, it can result in a number of problems as well. In this article, we will make you aware of the various side effects of cod liver oil.
Cod Liver Oil Negative Effects
- Cod liver oil contains lots of omega-3 fatty acids, from which the majority of its benefits stem. However, too many of these acids can have a negative effect on the health of a person. This holds true especially in case of acids that are taken in the form of supplement, rather than by eating foods rich in the same.
- The omega-3 fatty acids present in cod liver oil can hamper the blood’s ability to clot, in turn leading to an increase in the risk of hemorrhagic strokes. At the same time, it can also raise the risk for internal bleeding. In case you have a bleeding disorder, uncontrolled high blood pressure or have undergone surgery (or are going to), stay away from the oil.
- Cod liver oil is regarded as one of the richest source of vitamins A and D. Though these nutrients are good for health, they can bring harm as well, if taken in large amounts. Too much vitamin A can cause birth defects, while excessive amount of vitamin A can interfere with bone growth and make you vulnerable to fractures.
- If you are suffering from diabetes, it is advisable to consult a doctor before taking cod liver oil. This is because it can adversely affect your diabetes, making it difficult for your body to keep the blood sugar level in check. This, in turn, can have life-threatening consequences.
- Fish oils, whenever they are taken in excessive amounts, can wreak havoc with your immune system, suppressing it and making it weak. Cod liver oil is also a type of fish oil and if consumed in excessive, especially by those with a compromised immune system, can make the body vulnerable to infections and diseases.
- Cod liver oil, as the very name suggests, is derived from the liver of a fish. The liver is responsible for filtering and detoxifying the blood and might contain highly-concentrated levels of toxins as well. So, there are chances of the cod liver oil being contaminated.
- Though not seen in all the cases, too much consumption of cod liver oil can lead to severe complications, such as nausea, diarrhea, flatulence and bloating. Apart from that, it can also cause a fishy smell to emit from your body, in terms of odor as well as breath.
- If you are on medication, be it over-the-counter drugs or prescription drugs, consult a doctor before taking cod liver oil. This is because it can enhance the blood-thinning effects of many medications, resulting in internal hemorrhaging or excess bleeding. So, stay away from it especially if you are on anti -coagulant medications.
- The omega-3 acids in cod liver oil are nothing but fats and do contain a large amount of calories. So, if you are planning to include it in your lifestyle, be ready to change your diet, to make sure that you do not end up consuming too much fat.