Who could have imagined that the humble salt, the greatest ingredient known to man, can have a harmful effect on the body? Salt is the line that divides the food from being tasty to bland. Since its discovery in the 6000 BC, salt has changed the way in which humans see their food. It describes honor and honesty, as signified by the tag ‘old salt’. Salt contains sodium and is essential for the fluid balance of the body so its intake should not be completely stopped. However, high salt intake leads to adverse effects on the health; the recommended daily intake being 4 grams per day. People with heart diseases and high blood pressure should minimize the daily intake of salt, as it aggravates their condition. To help the people looking for a salt free diet, given below are three recipes that are very delicious, and are salt free.
Recipes For Salt Free Cooking
- Sesame sandwich bun - 1
- Inner leaf Romaine lettuce - 1
- lean ground chicken - 2 Ounces
- Medium to large mushrooms, diced - 4
- Thin or medium slice red onion, diced - 1
- Teaspoon honey mustard - 1
- Slice medium tomato - 1
- Ounce (slice) low sodium Swiss or Cheddar cheese - 1
- In a nonstick pan, fry the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the ground chicken and cook evenly.
- With a spatula press hard on the meat and make it bun size.
- Now take a pan and melt the cheese.
- Cut the bun into half and put the inner side onto the cheese. Let the bun soak up the cheese.
- On the other half of the bun put a layer of mustard and a spoon full of ketchup.
- Place the meat onto the bun with the cheese and then top it with onions, tomatoes, and lettuce leaves. On top put the other half of the bun and press gently.
Sesame Seed Crusted Chicken
- Chicken breast (8 ounces) – 2 (halved and skin out)
- Low-sodium honey mustard - 1/4 cup
- Mustard powder - 1 teaspoon
- Cold filtered low-sodium water - 1 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Unsalted sesame seeds - 1/2 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- In a bowl mix the pepper and sesame seeds
- In a separate bowl mix the mustard powder and water and then stir in the honey mustard.
- Pound the chicken and then coat each breast in the mustard mixture.
- Then coat both sides of the chicken in the sesame seeds.
- In a skillet, cook the chicken until the crust is golden brown. Don’t turn too much to preserve the crust but make sure both the sides are cooked evenly.
Avocado And Cucumber Salsa
- Cucumber (peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch cubes) - 1 1/2 cups
- Red onion, (finely diced) - 1/3 cup
- Jalapeno pepper, (seeded and minced) - 1
- Garlic cloves, (minced) - 3
- Tomato (seeded and diced) - 1/2 cup
- Freshly squeezed lime juice - 1 tablespoon
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 teaspoon
- Sugar or Splenda - 1 teaspoon
- Rice vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Fresh cilantro leaves,(roughly chopped) - 1/4 cup
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh avocado (peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces) - 1 cup
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and garlic in a bowl.
- Rub this mixture over the salmon fillets.
- Cover in a foil and refrigerate for two hours.
- Grill for three minutes per side. Don’t overcook. Use a fork and see if the meat comes off easily. If the meat comes off easily that means, it is cooked.
- Toss the salsa ingredients together or use a salsa mixer.
- Add the avocado in the end by stirring into the mixture.
- Serve the fillets along with avocado and cucumber salsa.