Stomach flu can hit anyone, especially children. Sometimes there is a sudden pain in the stomach, while at other times you don’t even know that you are infected with stomach flu for a few days. There is always a feeling of uneasiness, which is accompanied by pain, gas, sour stomach, and mild diarrhea. Antibiotics in such cases are useless as it is mostly a viral infection. Stomach flu, though, does not last for long, and it generally subsides in about 12 hours, so it is always better to go for natural remedies instead of incurring expensive medications, when the results of both can be the same. Natural remedies can also provide immediate relief from the pain and the discomfort of stomach flu. Go through the article below to learn more on how you can treat stomach flu using natural remedies.
Natural Remedies For Stomach Flu
- Chamomile tea is a very effective remedy for stomach flu. This herb has carminative properties, which help in providing relief against gas and bloating. It also has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and nervine properties that help in curing stomach flu.
- Mint can cure many stomach ailments and it is especially effective against stomach flu. Different types of mints like peppermint, wintergreen, catnip, spearmint, and lemon balm can be used to get relief from stomach flu, as they are rich in anti-microbial activity and also relaxe the stomach muscles. Taken in the form of tea, it also helps in digestion.
- Lemon juice can kill the harmful bacteria that causes diarrhea. However, like all acidic fruits it should be used sparingly. A teaspoon of the juice added to a glass of water or tea is beneficial. When the stomach doesn’t feel right, take two tablespoons of lemon juice before a meal as a preventive measure.
- Green bananas are also very effective in curing stomach flu. Bananas, ripe or green, are rich in potassium and magnesium and also can be digested easily. The potassium and magnesium plays a central role in maintaining the bodily function.
- Because of stomach flu, electrolytes like salt are greatly depleted due to vomiting and diarrhea. So, take plenty of broths and soups to replenish the loss. It is also a good way of replacing the lost fluids. Alternatively, you can add a tiny pinch of salt to the juice or tea.
- Rice water is another good remedy for diarrhea. Cook the rice until soft and then using a strainer, strain out the rice keeping the water. Let the water cool and drink a cup of it every one hour. You can also add a bit of honey or cinnamon in it.
- Apples contain pectin that helps in retaining the water. While apples may cause diarrhea in some people, applesauce is very good in relieving stomach flu.
- Add small pinches of turmeric powder to the rice or soup to give the body an anti-bacterial boost during stomach flu.
- Take freshly chopped garlic along with honey for a fast recovery from stomach flu. It soothes the lining of the stomach and bowel and also calms the rawness and cramping.
- Yogurt is a good way to add helpful bacteria and natural flora that aids in good digestion. During stomach flu, the beneficial bacteria are flushed away. Thus, yogurt helps in balancing the internal ecosystem.
- In young children, dried blueberries are an excellent cure for stomach flu. Their high fiber content and antioxidants help in water retention, which helps in treating diarrhea.