A popular dessert in the Southern United States, red velvet cake is a sweet cake, which is dark red to bright red, or red-brown, in color. The common ingredients used in making the cake include buttermilk, butter, flour, cocoa powder, and red food coloring, or beets. In majority of the cases, it involves the use of cocoa as well. Red velvet cake necessarily involves the use of frosting, with butter roux icing, cream cheese and butter-cream being the most popular options. In the following lines, we have listed an easy red velvet cake recipe, just for you.
How To Make Red Velvet Cake
- 2½ cups Cake Flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 2 oz. Red Food Coloring
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2½ cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- Pinch of Salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set it aside, for later use.
- Take another bowl, a small one, and mix food coloring and cocoa powder in it, to form a thin, lump-less paste. Set it aside as well.
- Put butter and sugar in a large bowl and, with the help of a hand mixer, beat them together, until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, into the sugar-butter mixture, followed by vanilla and cocoa paste.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat well. Now, mix in half of the buttermilk.
- Add another one-third of the flour mixture, mix well and follow with the addition of the rest half of buttermilk.
- Finally, mix in the rest one-third of the flour mixture and beat it well with a mixer, until well combined, making sure to scrape the bowl with a spatula.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, butter and flour two 9-inch or three 8-inch round cake pans.
- Take a small bowl and in it, mix together vinegar and baking soda. While it is still fizzing, add the mixture to the cake batter and stir well.
- Divide the batter, evenly, between the cake pans. Place them in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- After the cakes are done, take them out of the oven and cool them on a wire rack, for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, put cream cheese and butter in a bowl and beat them together with an electric mixer, until smooth.
- Turning mixer to low speed, blend in powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Increase blender speed to high again and beat the cheese mixture until it becomes light and fluffy.
- After the cake has cooled down, it is the time to apply frosting on it.
- Place one of the red cakes on a plate and apply frosting on its upper side.
- Put the second cake on top of the frosting and then cover both the cakes, completely, with the frosting.
- Cut and serve!