Psoriasis can make a person feel like he or she is wearing some dirty and diseased cloth, and unfortunately, which can’t be removed. This is because psoriasis results in ugly, scaly inflammation on the skin that tends to itch considerably. Unlike your dress, which you can change when it gets dirty, you cannot do the same with your skin. This makes people affected with this disease so self-conscious that they tend to cover up every area of their bodies where the rashes tend to show up. At the first look this disease can look like any other skin disease but when the plaque appears it becomes a different story altogether. Psoriasis can affect almost every area of your skin but is more common in the elbows, knees, scalp, genitals, and the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. It can have a tremendous affect on the person’s lifestyle because the constant itch and pain can interfere with even the basic daily function. Even if you discount the adverse effects it has on your skin and general health, this disease can make you reluctant to interact and meet other people thinking that they will treat you with disgust. To compound the matter further there is no known treatment, which can relieve you from psoriasis. Instead, there are many methods that can help you to manage the disease effectively and help you go on with your daily life in high spirits. To know more on how you can manage it, go through the article below for the various remedies for psoriasis.
- The skin should be rehydrated by swimming, showering, or applying wet compresses. This will soften the skin and also remove the thick psoriasis skin without damaging the skin. Keeping the skin hydrated regularly reduces the itching and also redness of the lesions. The water that you soak yourself in should be lukewarm rather than hot.
- To keep the skin from drying out it is very necessary to apply moisturizers. Dry skin is likely to crack and bleed and so become infected. Moisturizers will also prevent the inflammation of the skin and help maintain the elasticity. They are also very effective in arresting the advance of the disease. You can use cooking oil, lard, and petrolatum, as these are very good in trapping the water into the skin. Apply the moisturizers just after a bath to block the natural oils and water.
- Stay away from medications that worsen the condition of psoriasis. That is why the doctor should prescribe medicines for other ailments taking into consideration your skin condition.
- If the indoor air is dry then it will lead to dry skin, which can worsen the psoriasis condition. So, use a humidifier to raise the humidity of the room.
- Use soaps that are not harsh so that it do not irritate the skin and make it dry. So, use a moisturizing soap.
- Reduce your weight through balanced diet and exercise. Psoriasis in obese people is hard to contain and it is also more uncomfortable.
- To eliminate the psoriasis in the scalp you should massage the scalp with warm olive oil. This will remove the scale and then remove it. Then rinse your scalp with shampoo thoroughly.
- To reduce the redness and scaling, apply an ointment-based moisturizer to your skin and then wrap it in a plastic wrap. Keep overnight and wash away the scales in the morning.
- Add a handful of Epsom salts to your bath and then soak in it. The salt will heal the psoriasis by keeping the swelling down.
- Baking soda is very effective in reducing itching from the scaly patches. Take three gallons of water and add 1 ½ cups of baking powder to it. Soak a washcloth in the solution and gently rub it on the itchy patches.
- Apple cider vinegar soothes the inflammation of the skin and also prevents infection. Nails affected with psoriasis should be soaked in apple cider vinegar for a few minutes. Mix one cup of apple cider vinegar in one gallon of water and then soak a washcloth in the solution. Apply the washcloth on the skin to get rid of the itching.