Although pregnancy is an extremely happy phase in the life of a woman, it comes with its share of problems, usually brought about by bodily changes. Yeast infection is one such problem. It is common for a woman to suffer from yeast infection while she is pregnant. About 15% of all pregnant women suffer from some sort of yeast infection during their pregnancy. It is a condition when the normal levels of acid and yeast in the vagina get out of balance, allowing the yeast to overgrow. Though a yeast infection does not have a negative effect on pregnancy, it can cause significant discomfort and distress.
These vaginal infections, also known as monilial vaginitis or vaginal candidiasis, result in the increasing amount of thin, white, odd smelling discharge. During pregnancy, many hormonal changes also take place in the body. As a result, more sugar is produced and secreted in the vagina. The yeast fungus feeds on the sugar secreted and grows and sticks to the walls of the vagina. Other causes of yeast infection during pregnancy include taking hormones or birth control pills, taking antibiotics or steroids, high blood pressure, vaginal intercourse, douching and blood or semen. Read on further to know the signs, symptoms and treatment of pregnancy yeast infection.
Signs & Symptoms Of Yeast Infection In Pregnancy
- One of the common signs of yeast infection is a white discharge. The discharge is similar to cottage cheese in color, with a yeast or bread-like smell.
- A woman can also experience a greenish or yellowish discharge, which smells like yeast or bread.
- One can complain of itchiness, redness, soreness, burning sensation in the vagina, vulva (area around the vagina) and labia (lips of the vagina). In some cases the labia can also swell up.
- A woman can feel a burning sensation during urination.
- Yeast infection can cause pain or discomfort during intercourse.
Treatment Of Yeast Infection In Pregnancy
- Consuming a healthy diet is the best way to cure yeast infection naturally. Have acidophilus rich food like yogurt. Also increase your intake of garlic, since it is a natural anti-fungal agent. This will help in reducing the growth of micro-organisms that lead to yeast infections.
- Apply some drops of tea tree oil on a tampon and use it. This serves as one of the best remedies for pregnancy yeast infection.
- You can also use vinegar due to its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Use apple cider vinegar for effective treatment. Fill your bathtub with warm water and add one cupful of vinegar to the water. Soak yourself in the water for just about 15 minutes. Do not extend the duration. Thereafter, ensure that you dry your vaginal area properly using absorbent paper.
- Honey is also an effective remedy for yeast infections. Apply honey to the affected area and wait for 15 minutes, before you go for a bath. Have a warm water bath. Make sure you dry the region with absorbent paper, after you step out from the bath.
- Antifungal creams can also be topically applied to cure pregnancy yeast infection. Insert the cream into the vagina every night, before you go to bed. Wear a panty liner to deal with the discharge that is likely to take place during the sleep.
- Reduce your intake of sugar since refined sugar gives birth to yeast.
- You can go for suppositories that are made up of boric acid or garlic to get rid of pregnancy yeast infection, as they have antifungal properties. Simply insert these suppositories directly into the vagina to cure the infection.
- Wear cotton inner wear instead of synthetic fabrics. Go for loose inner wear so that you are comfortable while wearing it.
- Avoid using perfumed soaps and laundry detergents that you are allergic to.
- Do not sit around wet areas, such as a bathtub or wet bathing suit, for a longer duration.