Whisky is perhaps the most popular alcoholic drink throughout the world. Made from fermented grain mash, the drink is believed to date back to as early as the 15th century. The most common grains used to distill whisky are barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, and maize (also known as corn). Different varieties of the beverage are found around the world, the most popular being the Scottish one, which is often termed as Scotch whisky. In many English-speaking countries, Scotch whisky is often termed as simply ‘Scotch’.
In order to enjoy a peg of whisky, it is very necessary that you know how to pour the drink as well as the right technique of drinking it. It is also necessary to know the art of pouring whisky when you are having guests at your house and drink it by following the proper etiquette. You should not be clumsy with the bottle or spill it, while opening it or pouring the whisky, or even while drinking it. In the following lines, we will provide you some more tips on how to pour whisky in a glass and how to drink it as well.
Pouring Whisky In Glass
- While pouring whisky, the first thing that you need to decide is the type of glass that you will use.
- Though whisky can be served in almost any glass, be it a tumbler, a snifter glass or cognac glass, snifter glass would be the best bet. This is because it helps you inhale the rich aroma of whisky.
- In case you are drinking or serving whisky 'on the rocks', take a glass and put ice cubes in it.
- Hold the bottle with clean hands and get a firm grip on it.
- Now, lowering the bottles at an angle, bring its top towards the glass.
- Pour the required amount of whisky in the glass.
- While pouring the whisky, be a bit slow, so that it does not splash up.
- Turn the bottle slightly, in order to prevent dripping.
- In case you are serving whisky with water or soda, first pour whisky into the glass.
- Follow the whisky with water or soda.
- Finally, add ice cubes.
How To Drink Whiskey
- You can either take shots of whiskey or drink it slowly. While having shots, pour 1 to 1½ oz liquor in a small glass tumbler and simply gulp it down at one go!
- Since a shot of whisky is consumed in one gulp, the alcohol hits the bloodstream quickly, making one get drunk easily. Nevertheless, there are many people who like to take ‘shots’ of whiskey, rather than drinking it slowly.
- On the other hand, if you want to enjoy the taste of the liquor to the fullest and maintain one single peg for a long time, then take a glass that curves at the top. Now, pour 1.5 oz whisky into the glass. By doing so, you will get optimal aroma of the liquor.
- Take a small sip of the drink and hold it in your mouth for few seconds, before you swallow it. This way, you will be able to enjoy the smooth taste of the liquor.
- If you do not want to drink neat, then dilute your whiskey by adding soda or water to it.
- Coke is a popular mixer, apart from water and soda, used to modify the taste of a peg of whiskey. You may add one part of the aerated drink to one part of whisky.
- Do not forget to add a couple of ice cubes to your peg of whiskey.