Tiaras have been around for the longest time. According to legend, it was the Greek God Dionysus who invented the head ornament we call the “Diadem”. The word derives from “diadema”, which in Greek, means “to bind around”. It was an emblem of royal power. Even ancient Egyptians were known to decorate the heads of royal mummies with tiaras. Back in those days, tiaras were decorated with olive leaves and laurel or foliage and flowers. They epitomized majesty, glamour and romance. The origins of the word tiara can be traced back to ancient Persia. In modern times, there has been a resurgence in the use of tiaras, especially at weddings. They re-ignite a beautiful bride’s dreams of becoming a princess. They make every girl who ever dreamed of her perfect wedding day feel like she is actually being able to live out her favorite fairytale. Finding the perfect tiara for your wedding can be a wonderful and joyous experience but can sometimes get a little confusing. While picking the tiara, you should keep in mind that the tiara should complement the entire bridal outfit and not overpower it. It should fit perfectly without making your face look hideous. Put together below are a few guidelines to help you make one of the toughest decisions of your life also one of the most joyous.
Tips On Picking The Right Tiara For Your Wedding
- Choose your tiara by material. Most of the tiaras are made of crystal, diamante or pearls. While buying the tiara you need to consider all the other jewelry you are planning to wear on your wedding day. For example, if you are going for a vintage look with your mother’s diamond necklace and bracelet, then buy your tiara with diamonds on it. Buying a tiara with pearls on it will ruin the outfit. You can also put some diamond studded pins in your hair to enhance the look. Make sure you do not overdo it.
- A tiara should only draw attention to your face and not be the centre of it! So choose a tiara depending on the size and shape of your face. For example, if you have a round face, wear a tall tiara or one with a peak. You could even have a hairstyle which gives some height to your face. If you have an oval face then try not to wear tall looking or small, thin sized tiaras because it will make your face look longer and that is not very attractive to look at. If you have a long face, then wear a tiara with little or no height, and tie your hair back loosely with a band. The tiara should look so elegant and stunning on you that it looks as if you were born to wear it.
- A hairstyle can make or break the look of a tiara. If you are planning to keep your hair loose then go for a small, thin tiara such that it does not become a distraction and complements your beautiful hair. If you are planning on wearing your hair in a bun or tying it up on either side, then you should go for a wider or more extravagant piece.
- If your personal style and attitude signifies simplicity then you should go for a tiara made out of pearls. They are simple and look traditional. You could also put a flower in your hair if you do not want hairpins or headbands. On the contrary, if your style is bold and loud, then you should opt for a Crisscut or Swarovski diamond Tiara with a sparkling diamond necklace, earrings and a bracelet. You could also do up your wedding gown with a few diamond studs to make it more eye-catching.
- Pearl tiaras look good with off-white or ivory gowns, since the luster of the pearls is enhanced by these colors.
- If your gown has floral designs on it, then look for a tiara with flowers or leaves or some similar kinds of designs. Match the type of your gown with the tiara. Don’t make it a mismatch or else it will be a disaster of gigantic proportions!
- If you are planning to wear a veil, then consider the look and style of it. The tiara should be able to fasten the veil on your head. Discuss various options you’re considering with your hairstylist in order for it to match with the tiara as well as securing the piece on your head.
Whether you wear a silver wedding tiara with rhinestones or a golden one with pearls or diamonds, ensure that it suits your overall attire and style. It should reflect elegance and glamour and add the perfect finishing touch to your bridal outfit.