Oily skin is a source of embarrassment for many, especially women. Oil secretion from the skin, also known as sebum, is a greasy discharge from the sebaceous glands that provides a lubricant for our skin and hair. Sebum helps keep our skin younger looking, with fewer wrinkles, by sealing in moisture. However, the problem arises when the sebaceous glands become overactive and secrete more oil than is required. These overactive glands can be a result of hereditary causes or arise from other factors. Whatever be the reason behind them, too much oil makes the skin look dirty and lifeless. It also becomes prone to spots, blackheads, redness, swelling, enlarged pores, and frequent breakouts. In this context, unlike what people tend to believe, frequently washing face will only lead to more production of oil, compensating for the oil lost. Rather, natural treatments prove to be the best bet. Read on to explore some of the best home remedies for oily skin, as listed below.
Natural Treatments For Oily Skin
- Make a puree of fresh tomatoes and apply it on the face. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Mix cucumber juice with lemon juice and keep the mixture in fridge. After sometime, apply the mixture gently on your skin. Wash your face after half an hour.
- You can also make a juice out of cucumber only, refrigerate it and apply it twice or thrice a day, with cotton pads.
- Milk is an excellent oil-free cleanser for your skin. It doesn’t dry out the skin as well. Mix 2-3 drops of sandalwood or lavender oil with 2 tablespoon milk and massage it gently all over the face, cleaning up the dirt, grime and makeup.
- Apply multani mitti, mixed with rose water, on your face and let it dry. Now, rinse it off thoroughly with water. It will leave the skin dry and lighten the tone as well. Now, apply a moisturizer especially meant for oily skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of green clay with 2 drops of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt, and 2 drops of lavender oil. Add water to the mixture, sufficient to make a creamy paste. Apply the paste all over the face and neck, leaving the skin around the eyes. Let it dry. Now, rinse with lukewarm water. It will help deep cleanse your face.
- Aloe Vera, the wonder plant of the household, works well at absorbing skin oils. Slice-open a leaf and smear the gel all over your face. Let it dry and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Don’t wash your skin more than twice or thrice a day, as otherwise it will make the oil glands more active and result in secretion of even more oil.
- Astringents help degrease your skin effectively and quickly giving you a non-oily look. You can even keep alcohol strips in your purse for quick touch-ups throughout the day.
- Use water-based or mineral-based cosmetics on your face, instead of oil-based ones. Strictly avoid using cream foundations.
- Drink a lot of water. In fact, at least 8- 10 glasses in a day is a must for you. At the same time, avoid oily food.