Acid reflux is a very common condition. It is the burning sensation that you feel in the chest and throat just after a meal. It is also known as heartburn as a result of the formation of acids in the stomach. To pinpoint any one factor that can cause acid reflux is quite difficult. However, most of the symptoms for acid reflux are caused due to the malfunction of the lower esophageal sphincter. The symptoms can last for more than two days and in some cases they can reoccur every week. In severe cases of acid reflux the stomach acids can wear the delicate esophagus lining which can cause swallowing problems. The reflux of the stomach acids is also one of the major causes of esophageal cancer. Acid reflux occurs because the smooth muscles and hormones in the lower esophageal sphincter, which are responsible for the opening and the closing of the esophagus end during swallowing, weaken. As a result the lower esophageal sphincter doesn’t close and so cannot maintain the pressure between the stomach and the esophagus. This makes it possible for the acids to back up causing acidity and heart burn. If you are suffering from acid reflux and would like some quick fix remedies then go through the article below for the various acid reflux natural remedies.
Home Remedies For Acid Reflux
- Apple cider vinegar is an excellent antidote for acid reflux. Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in half a glass of water and drink this while having your dinner.
- Ginger root is another very good option to get rid of acid reflux. Take a ginger root capsule immediately after dinner. This herb is very effective in absorbing the stomach acid thus providing relief against acid reflux.
- Fennel seed is also very effective as it helps in digestion. Immediately after a meal chew half a teaspoon of fennel seeds. Fennel seeds also combat gastrointestinal spasms.
- Mix one part of aniseed and one part of lavender, and put them in two cups of boiling water. Leave it to sit for 5 minutes and then strain the tea. Add a little bit of honey and drink a glass of this tea in the morning and in the evening. This tea reduces the level of acids in the stomach and so provides relief against heartburn.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it to neutralize the stomach acid. This remedy should be used moderately and must be avoided by pregnant women.
- Drinking plenty of water throughout the day also reduces acid reflux. Drinking coconut water four or five times a day is also beneficial.
- Drinking a glass of milk immediately when the symptoms of acid reflux start provides quick relief.
- You can also drink a glass of mint juice after a meal to get relief from acid reflux.
- Green tea is also quite effective. You can also prepare an herbal tea with chamomile, ginger, liquorice root and catnip. Drink this tea after a meal to help the body with digestion.
- Before every meal you can take half a glass of aloe vera juice to eliminate the chances of acid formation.
- Add ginger to the food. This will prevent the chances of gas and acidity. You can also take a slice of raw ginger when you feel the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Holy basil provides excellent relief against gastric problems. Chew a few leaves of basil to get relief from acid reflux.
- After the meal keep a piece of clove in the mouth and suck on it. This will provide relief against heartburn and nausea caused due to gastric problems.
- The juice of Indian gooseberry mixed with the juice of chebulic myrobalan also provides relief against acid reflux.