If horrors symbolize the spirit of Halloween then pumpkins are its brand image. Halloween has its origin the Celtic festival of Samhain, which means the ‘summer’s end’. It is believed that the wearing of costumes and mask is to invite ancestral spirits while frightening away the harmful ones. Halloween is also characterized by the gifting and consumption of candies and baked pumpkin dishes. No doubt, the weight conscious shudders at the piles of calorie build up. This has given rise to the use of low fat recipes and since dessert is the most fat inducing part of a meal, it is better to have low fat desserts. For the spirit of Halloween should not be dampened due to health misgivings. Read the article below to know more on the various low fat dessert recipes for Halloween.
Halloween Low Fat Dessert Recipes
Low Fat Pumpkin Cake
- 1 box of organic yellow cake mix
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie mix
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 15-ounce can organic pumpkin
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat tub cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, take the cake mix and pumpkin pie mix. To it, add the applesauce, egg substitute, and canned pumpkin.
- Beat it into a smooth paste.
- Place the paste into the baking pan. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes into a preheated oven. Keep aside for cooling.
- To prepare the frosting, in a bowl take the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer beat until smooth. Refrigerate for one hour.
- After the cake has cooled place the frosting over it.
Low Fat Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 110 ounce day-old baguette
- 2 cups fat-free half and half
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 3/4 cup raisins
- Cut the baguette into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl take the half-and-half and put the cubes in. Toss to make the cubes soak up the liquid.
- Take brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and spices in a bowl and mix beaten eggs to it.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes along with the raisins. Leave for blending.
- Take a baking dish and spray non-stick cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F.
Low Fat Pumpkin Cream Cheese Brownies
- Brownie mix – 113 ounce box
- Canned pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin, not pie mix) – ¾ cup
- Egg – 1nos
- Fat-free tub cream cheese – 4 ounces
- Pumpkin puree – ¼ cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Pumpkin pie spice – ¼ tablespoon
- In a large bowl, take the brownie mix, canned pumpkin, and egg.
- Using a mixer, mix until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Take a baking pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Put the batter onto it.
- For the topping, in a bowl take the cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice and beat it to a smooth paste and creamy.
- Using a spoon put the cream cheese paste onto the brownie mix.
- Bake in a pre heated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.