A nice green patch of some dense woods, a wisp of smoke rising from the chimney, and a pick-up parked outside a house made of wood. No, we are not talking about a fairy tale; they didn’t have pick-up trucks back then! We are talking about the dream of every outdoorsman, owning a log cabin in the woods; a place to escape the hustle bustle of the city and relax. However, if the log cabin is not furnished and designed properly, instead of being a source of relaxation, it will become a source of tension. To help prevent that, this article will present you with some ideas on how you can improve the interior design of you log cabin. The tips mentioned here will also help if you are planning on re-doing the interiors of a log home in an urban area. A good log cabin or home can’t look good only on the outside; the inside also matters just as much, if not more.
Log Home Interior Design Ideas
Once you have bought your cabin in the woods, you can follow the tips mentioned below to improve its looks.
- The very first thing you need to take into account is the size of the log home. This is generally determined by the diameter of the logs used. If they are of a greater diameter, then you are bound to have a large house with big rooms and high ceilings. What this means is that, you will need to add more furniture to do the interiors of a bigger house.
- Once your cabin is prepared, the first thing you need to do is to get rid of the clutter. If you put too many things inside, then you will run short of space for your own movement and make the house look very cramped and overstuffed. So, if you have junk lying around, you might want to consider getting rid of it.
- Once the junk is out, you might consider the flooring of the cabin. Generally a solid hardwood floor is the popular theme along with some small rugs. These rugs can be braided, woven or be made of fur or rags. The idea is to give the place a more rustic look and the hardwood floor with rough rugs on them will only add to this look.
- The furniture you put inside will also depend on the look you want to display in the cabin. Try not to go in for style contrasts. For example, if you are going for the rustic look and use a wrought iron bed, then it will just look out of place. What will fit the rustic theme will be leather couches, cushions and pillows.
- Another thing you can do when furnishing the house is to choose furniture that complements the wood that the house or cabin is made of. For example if you have chosen pine wood for the house, then you can choose pine or alder for the cabinets and cupboards because the two woods complement each other well.
- Try to choose furniture that looks old and worn. Such antiquated looking furniture and fittings are the best way to keep with the themes of the log home.
- Another thing you can do is to try using bulky furniture; furniture that draws attention to itself and makes a statement. Choosing more traditional items would help fulfill this idea.
The interior decor of a log home or cabin is easy to choose once you have the theme in place. Just remember one thing; the house is made of wood so you don’t want to run around with carelessly lit matches.