Lead poisoning is a major cause of several neurological and cardiovascular diseases. For timely diagnosis, read this piece for information on lead poisoning symptoms.
Lead is said to be a slow poison. ‘Plumbism’ or lead poisoning is a toxic condition triggered by skin absorption, ingestion and inhalation of lead which is found in the air, soil, water, houses, ceramic cookware, and solder used in metal cans and pipes. Lead is toxic even in minute quantities. The decline of ancient Rome is purportedly ascribed to the rampant use of lead in tableware, weapons, cosmetics, wine-making and water pipes in aqueducts. More than 80% of American homes that were built before the year 1978 were painted with lead-based paints. It is said that one in every six children in America suffers from high levels of lead in the bloodstream, according to reports submitted by the ‘Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry’. So, the older the home, the more likely it contains lead paint and the higher the concentration of lead in the paint. The main sources of lead in our daily lives include car exhaust gas, home decoration and toys for kids. Some cosmetics too contain lead. Unborn babies and young children are most vulnerable to plumbism. Lead stymies the production of hemoglobin and inactivates essential enzymes in the brain and the nervous system. The detrimental effects of lead manifest themselves decades later in the form of hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, pre-senile dementia, impaired cognitive ability, gout and kidney damage. Read through the sections below for more information on lead poisoning symptoms.
Symptoms Of Lead Poisoning
Lead Poisoning Symptoms In Children
More from iloveindia.com