Since the human back is one of the most important parts of the body, it is really important that your back stays in shape. Here, we tell you how to workout your back muscles with the help of some exercises that will make them stronger.
- Behind neck pull downs - Hold the exercising bar firmly and wide enough so that your hands are a little wider than your shoulder width. Now, start pulling the bar downwards towards your head. Arch your head forward just a little bit, so that the bar can be pulled down towards your back. After the bar has come down to the level of your head, stop. Now, allow the weight on the bars to naturally and slowly pull your arms back up. Do about two-three sets of 10-12 repetitions each.
- Close grip front pull-downs - Have a firm grip on the exercising bar. Now, start off by slowly pulling the bar down towards your torso, while you push your chest a little forward. Arch your back slightly but make sure that it does not hurt. Also, be careful that you pull the weight down using your elbows and not your biceps. Lightly squeeze for a couple of seconds before you release it. Repeat this exercise for 10-12 repetitions over two to three sets.
- Dumbbell Rows - Grab a dumbbell with one arm while you grab hold of a bench with the other one. Rest your one knee on the bench for balance. Begin by extending your arms fully towards the floor. Now, slowly bring the dumbbell up towards your side by using your elbow. Keep the elbow pressed on your side while you pull the weight up. Once you have brought the weight up, hold this position for sometime, then start releasing while allowing the arm to drop towards the floor. Repeat the activity for about 10-12 repetitions and then rotate towards the other side.
- Knee to Chest stretch - This is a very simple exercise and does not take a lot of time. Start by lying back with your knees bent while your feet are flat on the floor. Now, using both your hands, start pulling one of your knees towards your chest and press it against your chest. Hold the knee in this position for approximately 15 to 20 seconds. This will help in stretching some of your lower back and muscles of your buttocks. Now, repeat the same process for the other leg as well.
- Lower back rotational stretch - Start by lying down and keep your shoulders firmly planted on the ground. Now, bend your knees and roll towards one side and hold it in that position for 10 seconds. Repeat the same process for the other side as well. This will help stretch your back muscles and will eventually make them stronger.
- Seated Row - This is yet another exercise for your back which will help in strengthening the muscles. Start by sitting on a rowing machine, in correct posture. Maintain a natural arch of your back during the whole exercise. Keep the muscles of your abdomen tight, shoulders back and chest up. Now, pull the weight while you focus on bringing your shoulder together. As soon as your elbow joints are in line, you can stop. Now, lower the weight and stop just before your elbows are straight. Repeat this 10-12 repetitions.