You have silky, long, beautiful, black hair that falls like a dream over your shoulders. But the very sight of those shaggy split ends makes you wish you never had long hair. Don’t you get dejected every time you go to the salon for trimming those split ends and lose all the growth that happened in the past 2 - 3 months? Worry not! We come armed with the perfect solution for you.
In the following lines, we have given tips for you that will help you learn how to trim split hair ends. Split ends occur when hair is dry and brittle and the inside of the hair known as the cortex, splits. This is why it is called split ends. They often travel up from the tips to the roots of the hair and damage the entire hair. Using conditioners and oils may help temporarily, but the ultimate solution is to chop them off, as soon as you spot them.
- Sharp Hair Cutting Scissors
- Room with Enough Lighting
- Wide-Toothed Comb
- Sit comfortably in a room that has adequate lighting and make sure you have a mirror that gives a clear picture.
- Comb your hair and remove the tangles slowly, to avoid any breakage or damage. Use a wide-toothed comb preferably. Divide your hair into two sections, by parting in the middle.
- Start with the hair just above the forehead. Take a strand of hair and wring it from roots to tip. When you hold the tip at the end, you will see the split ends standing out.
- Start to snip them off with the scissors. Make sure that the scissors are thin and sharp. Blunt scissors will only increase split ends. Also, be careful when you use sharp scissors. If you accidentally nip your finger, you may have a deep cut!
- After one round of trimming, open up the strand and wring it in the other direction to snip off those split ends that you might have missed out on.
- Keep trimming like this by taking strands from all over one half of the head. It is a bit time consuming but worth the effort. You need to snip off at least an inch above the split end to ensure it does not travel up.
- Ask someone like a friend to help you if you get tired or take a break and then do the other section.
- Go to the salon after two weeks and ask them to trim less than an inch just to ensure that the hair is leveled and looks straight. This will also chop off any split ends that you might have missed.