Why do our nails turn weak and brittle? What makes them break easily and hard to grow back again? Is there a solution to overcome these nail problems and get stronger, smooth, and polished nails? Well, if strong nails is what you are concerned about, there are certain guidelines which, when followed, can be of great help to you. Just as you curse your nails for being so weak and fragile, do you ever wonder what could be the reasons behind this? Well, they simply are a result of your negligence of taking proper care of your fingernails. Exposing your nails to chemical products, harsh environment, lack of moisturizing, and unhealthy diet are a few of the many factors that weaken nails. But nevertheless, with a few natural tips, you can get back your long, smooth, and healthy nails, and prevent them from breaking. Check them out!
Ways To Strengthen Your Nails Naturally
- The strength of your nails is largely determined by the kind of diet you follow. Though hereditary plays a good role, a healthy diet rich in essential vitamins and minerals will surely take you way ahead in achieving pink, strong, and healthy nails. Include foods high in proteins, calcium, vitamins A, C, and E, and multivitamin supplements with B-complex vitamins, zinc, iodine, and iron. These nutrients can be found in meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- Keeping your nails soaked in excessive water is a major turndown for the health of your nails. To avoid them from getting weak and frequent breakage, prevent exposing your nails to dishwater, laundry water, and long, hot baths. Keep them dry as much as possible.
- It is not always possible to prevent your hands from exposing to water. In such situations, wear rubber or latex gloves to protect your hands from getting wet while doing your household chores. Whenever you indulge in doing dishes, washing clothes, or scrubbing the toilet, wear gloves to guard your hands and nails from harmful chemicals.
- Moisten your nails with vitamin E every night to keep them lustrous and smooth. Simply break open a vitamin E capsule and apply a good coat of the oil on your fingernails before retiring to bed. Massage until the oil is absorbed by the nails.
- Your fingernails are not meant for removing staple pins, stickers, and other objects. These tasks are better performed by tools, such as scissors, pliers, or toothpicks.
- Always keep your nails trimmed to short, squarish shape with the tops slightly rounded. Clip your nails when they are soft, usually after a shower or bath.
- Always dry your hands and feet after immersing them in water. After doing the dishes or taking a shower/bath, dry your hands for at least 2 minutes. Also, after showering or swimming, dry your toes. Leaving your nails damp increases the chances of fungal infection.
- Mix equal amounts of argan oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whisk them thoroughly. Soak your fingers in this mixture for about 15 minutes and thereafter, rinse with warm water. Pat your hands dry. Avoid using soap to clean your hands. Repeat this procedure once a week for long and strong nails.
- Beat two egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk in ¼ cup milk and 1 tbsp honey. Dip your nails in this mixture for around 10-15 minutes. Rinse your hands under cold running water and pat dry.
- Combine 1 tsp wheat germ oil with 2 tsp each of castor oil and salt. Blend well and transfer into a clean, airtight container. Massage small amounts of this mixture on your nails regularly. Your weak nails will soon transform into super strong tough ones.
- Dilute 1 tbsp sea salt in half liter warm water. Immerse your fingers in this bath and keep them in for around 20 minutes. Remove your fingers and dry them clean. Coat your nails with moisturizing cream. Repeat daily for 10 days and follow once in every month.
- Mix 1 tbsp lemon juice with several pinches of salt. Mix and dab your nails with this mixture using a brush. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and wash your hands clean henceforth.
By following these natural strengthening tips, your weak and fragile nails will be the talk of the past. Practice them regularly and get ready to flaunt strong, healthy, and beautiful nails!