Biting nails is a habit that is embarrassing, unhygienic and even destroys the beauty of your hands. When you put your fingers in your mouth, to bite the nails, you also put all the germs, which you have picked from the things you have touched, into it. Infact, most of the infections are acquired by people through dirty hands only. Biting nails shows that you are nervous and in turn, makes a very bad impression on the people you meet. Children are especially prone to the habit of nail biting. Breaking away from the habit is not easy. However, following the steps given below with dedication will help a person have beautiful and healthy nails in no time.
How to Stop Biting Your Nails
- First of all, make a conscious effort of not biting your nails. We know that nail biting is an unconscious habit. However, the moment you realize that you are biting your nails, stop, even if you have bitten most of them.
- Distract you mouth from the nail biting habit. Always keep chewing gums with you. The moment you feel the urge to bite your nails, pop them into the mouth and experience the urge go away.
- Eat a diet that is rich in calcium and magnesium. This is because many people bite their nails because of the lack of calcium and magnesium in their body.
- Get a manicure done by a professional. Since a professional manicure involves spending quite a few bucks, you will be careful not to ruin it by biting your nails.
- Guys can apply base coat, with a terrible taste, on their nails. This way, every time they bite their nails, they will get a bad taste in the mouth. Slowly and gradually, the nail biting habit will fade away.
- Keep a nail clipper with you at all times. At times, we resort to nail biting because of a hanging or a chipped fingernail. You can avoid the same by keeping a nail clipper to get rid of the problem.
- Keep gloves in handy. Whenever you feel the urge of biting your nails, wear the gloves. This way, you will not have the nails that you can bite.
- Look out to your friends and family for support. Ask them to nudge you every time they see you biting your nails.
- Replace the habit of nail biting with some other habit like looking at your nails, tapping your fingers, etc. Resort to the habit whenever you see yourself biting your nails. Make sure that the habit is not a bad one.
- The girls should always keep their nails polished. Since so much effort goes into applying nail polish, you will think twice before biting the polished nails.
- Whenever you see surplus growth of nails, clip them with the help of a nail cutter. With the enticement, in the form of long nails, gone, you will not feel the urge to bite the nails or atleast have it less often.
- Remember leaving any bad habit, including that of nail biting, is a slow process and requires lots of patience. So, make sure to stick to it for long, to see the results.