Interestingly, beekeeping is increasingly becoming one of the most popular hobbies today. While it may seem to be probably one of the biggest challenges that you have ever faced in your life, the process is a lot simpler than you would have ever imagined. Once you have the right tools and the right information in hand, on how to go about it, beekeeping will become quite an incredible experience for you. Having said that, it needs to be remembered that one requires a bit of patience and dedication to maintain the bee hive. The article will help you to learn how to turn those dangerous bees into your pets. Read on to know how to start beekeeping.
First Steps For Getting Started In Beekeeping
- The first thing that you need to do, while starting beekeeping, is to assemble the right tools at your disposal. Work on getting the most important and the most basic things, before you add other accessories to your beehive.
- You need to get a beehive, a smoker and the right beekeeping apparel. The other important things include a beekeeping veil and preferably, a full beekeeping suit. Once you have assembled these essential items, you can look forward to beekeeping.
- The next step is to gather some bees to start your small colonies. There are several ways you can get bees. At times, you may find a swarm of bees that have relocated inside hollow trees or even your own backyard. If you decide to relocate some bees to your hive, you need to protect yourself really well. However, the best way to do it is to ask an experienced beekeeper to do so.
- Alternatively, you can also get packaged bees. Get some loose bees from a bee breeder. Usually, the breeder will give you the bees in the mail, in a wooden and wire mesh box. The queen bee is to be kept in a separate cage during transit. You have to empty the rest of the bees in a framed hive.
- Another option is to buy a nucleus colony. This would come in a nuke box, complete with frames, bees, brood and food. All you need to do is transfer the bees into an empty hive. While this is the easiest way to start with, it is a rather expensive option.
- You need to consider that the honeybees build their nests in a cavity, where the combs are attached to the upper part. You will need to manipulate the combs in order to manage the hives. Manipulating the combs include adjusting the space needs or inspecting the condition of the colony. Try to have a practical system in place, which makes it easy for you to replace and remove combs without destroying them.
- Lastly, remember that beekeeping is one of those hobbies that require special skills to be practiced. Keep yourself updated by reading the latest news and trends about your hobby. Arrange for a good guidebook to help you with the necessary steps and equipment required to pursue beekeeping.