Learning how to sing well can be a very good and enjoyable experience if you know the technique. If you go about it the wrong way, your voice may be damaged. In this article, we tell you how to sing well.
- Find a coach - You might be able to sing already but a coach or a trainer will help you improve your voice even further. If, on the other hand your voice is weak, it is due to the under-developed muscles or improper resonators like the pharynx, the hard palate and the nasal cavity. Muscles are strengthened through training. Here is where a vocal coach comes in.
- Vocal Range - You should know your vocal range; learn to recognize the kind of range that you have. This is very important as wrong vocal range can result in your voice being damaged.
- Posture - This might not seem important to sing well, but a good posture will help you tremendously. Stand tall keeping one foot a little in front of the other one. Place your feet shoulder width apart. This will allow you to breathe easily and will also allow maximum lung capacity, which will allow better notes and phrases. Please be sure that your chest is high to give room for the lungs to expand.
- Breathe properly - Breathing properly is a very important point to keep in mind if you want to sing well. It is said that singing consists of 80% breathing because the way you breathe while singing will have an effect on your voice.
- Singing tools - Your body has certain singing tools like your lungs, ribs, nose and mouth that you should know properly before you go on to sing. You should be more familiar with how everything works inside your body while you sing. This will eventually help you to sing well.
- Warm up - Warming up is not only important while you exercise your body, it is equally important that you exercise your throat and voice. You can start to warm up your voice by singing some mid-range and low-range patterns. Spend atleast 10 minutes on each kind of range and remember not to stress your voice at all.
- Pronunciation - Practice to pronounce the different words and vowels properly. You must practice various words and vowels in every pitch, starting from low and moving on to mid-range and then on to high-range. Another important and interesting way to sing well is to practice the vowels. You can always try and sing the first vowel for as long as you can before you begin with the second vowel. But, as mentioned in the earlier steps, do not stress your voice as this can result in some irreparable damage.
- Scales - For a better sounding voice, you need to practice the various scales. Practice about 20-30 minutes per day when you are starting. Practicing various scales will not only increase your tonal range, it will also strengthen your muscles that are used for singing. Before practicing scales, you must identify your range and learn to find the various notes that cover your range.
- Self Expectation - Regardless of how well you sing, be reasonable with the kind of expectation that you have. No doubt, you will improve with time and practice, but please make sure that you don't overstress yourself.
- Remember, the best thing for your voice is water. It will do some wonderful things for the voice and is also essential for your body as well.
- Getting in shape is one of the most important criteria for singing well. Getting in shape will result in you breathing better. Breathing better means you will be able to sing well.
- Avoid screaming when you sing as screaming can result in your voice being damaged.
- Before you start singing, do not drink milk or orange juice. These will result in your voice sounding blocked by something.
- If you smoke or drink, quit immediately, if you want to sing well. These things will have a negative impact on your body as well as voice.
- Completely relax before you start singing. If you feel any tension in your jaw, shoulders, neck muscles and all the surrounding areas means that you are not relaxed.