Skunk is an omnivorous mammal, which has been provided with the natural ability to discharge a foul-smelling defensive spray, in order to defend itself from potential attacks by predators. In case a skunk has sneaked into your backyard, you should be cautious not to approach it, because it may immediately discharge its excretion on you, for its own defense. Take care of your dog as well, because it may tend to threaten or scare the skunk on account of which, the mammal may excrete the nauseating odor on your pet. It will be extremely difficult to remove the skunk smell from your dog in such a case. Worst is the scenario, when your pet spreads the odor to the untreated wood, towels, plasterboard, bed and couch of your home. In case you have already encountered the problem, go through the lines given below and learn how to remove skunk odor from the dog.
Removing Skunk Smell From Dogs
- The first thing to do, while treating your dog for removing the skunk smell, is to check the pet's eyes, because skunk's spray could damage the organ. If the eyes appear red, rinse them with few drops of olive oil.
- The next step would involve cleaning your dog. Wash your pet with dog shampoo. Rinse and dry him.
- Douse your pet with tomato juice, after bathing him with the shampoo. Cover him completely in the juice and leave it on for fifteen minutes. Rinse off the juice, using normal tap water.
- If the skunk smell is not removed from your pet completely, wash your dog once again. This time, mix 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide with ¼ cup baking soda and few drops of liquid soap, to form a soapy mixture. Add a cup of water and then douse your dog with the mixture. Wait for few minutes. Wash your dog thoroughly, with water.
- Another way to get rid of the skunk odor is to rinse your dog with a mixture of 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide and 1 cup liquid soap. Blend the mixture well, to form lather. After the mixture becomes frothy, add 1 cup water to it. Now, rinse your dog with the mixture. Let it sit for the next 10 minutes. Before the mixture gets dried completely, rinse your dog thoroughly with ½ cup of vinegar, mixed in 1 gallon of water.
- A surefire way to get rid of skunk smell from your dog is to rinse him with 2/3 cup water, mixed in 1/3 cup organic apple cider. While washing your dog with the mixture, be careful not to spill it in his eyes.
- Do not bring your dog into your home if you find that skunk has sprayed on him.
- Always wear rubber gloves and old clothes, while washing your dog.
- Wash your clothes, gloves and take a shower immediately after cleaning your dog, so that the stinking smell doesn't stick to your skin.
- Take your pet to veterinarian doctor, if the smell still exists.
- The best way to provide protection to your dog from the skunk is to keep him within your reach, when you are on a hiking trip or going into the woods.