A musty smell is very sickening, especially when it arises out of freshly laundered bath towels. The presence of moisture in the fabric of a towel leads to the growth of microorganisms, such as mold. Sometimes, it may happen that your towel retains the smell even after being washed thoroughly. This is perhaps due to the reason that it was not dried thoroughly, after undergoing washing and rinsing. Many methods have been specially formulated to remove the mildew odor from towels. With the guidance and tips given in the article, you will learn how to get rid of the musty smell from your towels.
Removing Mildew Odor From Towels
- Put the towels in the washing machine.
- Wash them in plain hot water.
- Now, instead of detergent or fabric softener, add one cup of vinegar to the water.
- Run the washer.
- Wash them again, this time with a mild liquid detergent.
- Rinse your towels and dry them thoroughly, in the sun.
- You will find your washed towels free of the musty smell.
- Transfer the towels into the washing machine and pour hot water in it.
- Wash the towels in liquid detergent. However, you should not use fabric softener or any other products.
- While rinsing the towels, add one cup of ammonia to the water.
- Rinse the towels, in fresh water, once again and dry them.
By Soaking The Towels Overnight
- Put the towel in a bucket.
- Add hot water, enough to cover them.
- Add a cup of ammonia to the water.
- Leave the towels overnight, soaked in the mixture of ammonia and water.
- Wash the soaked towel with a liquid detergent, the next morning.
- Rinse the towels in fresh water.
- Dry the towels thoroughly, before storing them in the closet.
- Do not keep the towels inside the washing machine, after the completion of washing cycle, for a long time.
- Dry the towels in sunshine properly, after every wash.
- Do not store towels in highly humid areas, such as open shelves of bathroom. Instead, store them in a closed cabinet, free of moisture.
- Do not hang a number of towels, together, on one hook. Instead, make use of single towel hooks, to hang each of them separately.
- You should opt for the 'soaking' method only if the musty smell does not get removed from the towels with the other two methods.