A carpet, although very beautiful can look real ugly if there is a nasty stain or a hole in it. However, you don't need to worry about it as in this article, we provide you the solution. We will tell you how to patch a carpet. Read on to find out how to mend a carpet.
However, before we tell you the actual process of patching a carpet, there are certain things that you will need. These are:
- Carpet Glues
- Duct Tape
- Utility Knives
Now, that you have the essentials, just follow the easy steps mentioned below to patch your carpet.
- First, you will need to cut the entire area of the carpet that is damaged. Use the utility knife for this purpose and cut out the damaged area completely. Remember to do this with just one cut on each side, and avoid cutting through the carpet pad.
- Next, use the cut out piece of the carpet as a pattern and cut out a new piece. But make sure you match the direction correctly or else it will spoil the whole carpet.
- Now, spread the carpet adhesive on the carpet pad that is exposed and onto the patch as well.
- Put some adhesive under the edges of the carpet that surrounds the hole.
- Using your hands, press the patch into the hole and use your finger-tips to finely fit the pile of the carpet.
- Allow the adhesive that you had applied to dry for atleast six hours or so.
- After the glue has totally dried, vacuum the patched area nicely.
- Congratulations! Your carpet is patched and is almost as good as new.
Tips and Warnings
- If somehow you have cut the carpet pad, then immediately fasten it with a big piece of duct tape.
- If you do not have an extra matching carpet, then you can easily get one at a carpet store. Take the damaged piece of carpet with you and find a good match.
- For cutting out the damaged part, use either a sharp blade or the utility knife because it needs to cut out evenly and without any further damage.
- Be cautious while using utility knives.