During the onset of summers, the sun brings out a flurry of activity. You get to see birds chirping, animals lazily basking, hyper active insects like butterflies buzzing around and human beings usually cleaning. Well, this is called “spring cleaning” and the phrase used to suggest extensive cleaning activities. The origin of spring cleaning dates back to Iranian Norouz or the Persian New Year. Iranians still practice “khooneh tekouni” which literally translates to “shaking the house”. By the end of summer, the neighborhood seems strange as most homes have repainted their exteriors and interiors. Painting is one of the main activities people enjoy doing in summers. Painting exterior surfaces is as challenging as interiors. With exteriors, one has to have a zoomed out perspective to understand how it will look in a wide angle scale. With interior surfaces it is a different task altogether. First it has to be ensured that the room is clean and dust free; and furniture and accessories like wall hangings and paintings have to be removed or covered in plastic. One of the best ways to get a makeover for your room is by painting it. But if the painting job is not done properly it could be a disaster and will only make the room look messy. Therefore it is essential to adopt an organized approach to painting a room even if you are not a professional. Find below a step by step account of one of the ways in which you could paint a room.
Tips For Painting A Room
- Before beginning, painting material has to be bought. A brief list of some of the important items include indoor primer, indoor paint, paint brushes, paint rollers, trays, sprayers, masking tape, a stepping ladder, appropriate clothes and safety gear.
- Rollers are usually used to make the job easier and to get a better finish, especially if you are not a professional.
- To begin painting, first and foremost the room has to be cleaned and vacuumed thoroughly. If any dust, cobwebs or irregularity is found on the surface it will only spoil the finish of the paint layer. All repair work of any surface has to be done beforehand and it should be cleaned properly after it’s complete.
- The next process is ‘cutting the room in’. This means painting the corners first, where the walls meet the ceiling and the baseboards. Then the walls could be painted using rollers. Then the baseboard trims, door to door trims and windows. Painting should be done top down.
- Usually two layers of paint are required to get a good finish.
- When using rollers it is not necessary to reach corners as this can be filled with brushes.
- In order to achieve an even coat, one can go over a layer of paint already applied in up and down strokes which is known as “laying off”.
- You can be creative and choose from a variety of materials, brushes and rollers to get unique textures and designs. But it is always good to take expert advice to check if your idea is viable in the long term and how best you can materialize your creative concept.