Are you one of those who swear by the baby food available in the market, for feeding their little angles? Do you rush to market every few days, to buy that big pack of baby food? Now, we have the perfect homemade option for you, as far as baby food in concerned. Not only is it much more economical and fresh, but also puts you in control of what is going inside your baby. Want to know more? If yes, then go through the following lines and explore instructions on how to make your own baby food, listed just for you!
Homemade Baby Food Recipe
- Steamer Basket, Stand Alone Steamer or Microwave Steamer
- Blender, Food Mill or Food Processor
- Ice Cube Trays
- Plastic Wrap
- Food Storage Containers or Plastic Ziplock Bags
- Fruits and Vegetables
- First of all, you need to get fruits and vegetables from the local supermarket. The choice depends entirely upon you.
- After getting fresh vegetables and fruits, remember to give them a thorough wash, so as to remove dirt and possible pesticides.
- In the next step, you will have to remove any peels from the fruits and vegetables. Otherwise, you will have to strain them later on.
- Now is the time to cook the fruits and/or vegetables. You can steam them or boil them, the choice is yours.
- While cooking the fruits and/or vegetables, you will have to decide on their consistency. If your baby has just started eating solids, it would be advisable to let the food go mushy. In case he/she has been on solids for some months now, cook the food until it is easily pierced with a fork.
- In the next step, you will have to puree the fruits and/or vegetables in a blender or food processor. You can also make use of a food mill for the purpose. Keep on blending the food until it reaches the right consistency, depending upon the eating stage of your child.
- In case you didn't remove the peels from fruits and/or vegetables in the earlier step, this is time to strain the puree.
- Thoroughly wash the ice-cube trays and spoon the pureed food into them. Now, cover the trays with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- After the baby food has been frozen, in the form of cubes, it is the time to remove it from the tray and put the cubes in ziplock bags or some other food storage container.
- When you place baby food cubes in the ziplock bag/ container, make sure to label it with the type of food therein as well as the date of its preparation.
- Your homemade baby food is ready. Now, whenever you feel like feeding your child, take out some of the cubes from the ziplock bag/ container and allow them to thaw (or thaw in the microwave).
- If your baby has just been introduced to solid foods, it is always advisable to give him/her only one fruit/ vegetable at a time, rather than a mix.
- Keep the use of additives, such as salt and sugar, as less as possible. At the same time, avoid the preservatives altogether.
- In case of certain fruits, such as kiwi fruit and bananas, you don't need to undertake the steaming process. Just peel, mash and serve.