Biryani, the name itself is enough to take us to the wonderland of taste and savor. No matter which part of India you live, your taste buds are sure to evoke at the mention of biryani. Biryani came to India through the Muslim travelers long time back and has stayed here since then. The epitome of aromas and the taste, the name Biryani is derived from a Persian word berya meaning fried and roasted. This scrumptious meal lures us like the tunes of Pied Piper. It is the mélange of rice with whatever you fancy. However, the most famous forms of Biriyani are non-vegetarian like the chicken Biryani, mutton biryani, lamb, prawns etc. However, you are not denied of this lip-smacking food just because you are a vegetarian. The best and equally tasty alternative for you is Veg biryani. And you don’t even have to head to a restaurant every time you want to binge on biryani. It is easy to prepare and you can indulge in it every time you feel like, in your own time and in your own home. Read on to know how to make vegetable biryani.
Vegetable Biryani Recipe
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- ½ cup Cauliflower (small headed)
- ½ cup French Beans
- 150 gms Green Peas
- ½-cup Potatoes
- 3 Finely Sliced Onion
- 2 Finely Sliced Green Chillies
- Ginger - garlic paste 1 tbsp.
- Cloves 3-4
- Cinnamon 1 piece
- Cardamom 3-4
- Bay leaf 2
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Cumin Seeds/powder
- 4 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 4 Tomato (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 cup Dry Fruits (cashew nuts, pistachios, raisins)
- The basmati rice, which you have taken, should be long grained and flavored. Wash the basmati rice well before cooking and leave it for two to three hours soaked. Now put the rice in 4 cups water and add a little salt and 3 teaspoon of dry fruits to it and cook it in cooker or microwave it.
- Now you need to fry all the chopped vegetables separately. Sauté the vegetables in oil and fry them.
- Now, heat 2-tablespoon oil in the pan. Add the green chilies, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, and mustard seeds and other spices according to your taste, to it. Now you can add the chopped onion to it and fry it until it turns golden.
- After it had turned golden add red chilli powder and ginger-garlic paste and stir it for some time. Now add finely cut tomatoes and fry until cooked properly.
- Blend the yogurt in the mixer to make it thinner and add it to the spices and stir for some time. You can add all the fried vegetables.
- You can add the rice to it however stir them very lightly to keep the rice from breaking. Cook until all the condiments and spices have blended to the rice. It would take a little less than five minutes.
- You can garnish the biriyani with dry fruits and cilantro leaves and serve it with chutney and raita.