Sushi rice forms a part of the Japanese cuisine. It is prepared with vinegar and is topped with various other ingredients, like fish, meat, vegetables, etc. If you have always wanted to know how to make sushi rice, read on. By following the steps mentioned above, your sushi rice will be ready in no time.
Cooking Sushi Rice
There are certain things that you will require before you can go on and prepare sushi rice. They include:
- 2 cups Rice
- 3-4 tbsp Japanese Rice Vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Salt
- Prepare the Vinegar - Start by heating the vinegar, sugar and salt in a pan over medium heat until the sugar and salt are dissolved into the vinegar. However, do not boil the mixture.
- Prepare the Rice - First, rinse the rice in cold water. This will take some time and several changes of water. Keep rinsing the rice until the final change of water runs clear and you can clearly see the rice through the water.
Cooking the Rice
- Start by steaming the rice in some water in a cooker.
- After the rice has cooked, leave it in a pot with the lid on for about 15 minutes.
Seasoning the Rice
- For seasoning the rice, use vinegar. Keep the rice into a bowl.
- Let the rice cool down and then add the seasoning.
- Use a spoon or some other kitchen equipment to mix the grains of rice with the vinegar. Make sure that the seasoning is mixed nicely with the rice.
- Your sushi rice is ready.
Sushi Rice Recipes
- 4 shoots Nori Sea Vegetable
- 2 cups Cooked Sushi Rice
- 1 cup Cucumber Strips
- 1 cup Cooked Sweet Potatoes
- ½ cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- In a mixing bowl, put together rice vinegar and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Add cucumber strips to the bowl, while stirring gently.
- Keep it aside and let the strips marinate for about 4 hours.
- Drain the marinade from the strips and set aside.
- Use a blender to whip the sweet potatoes, until smooth and creamy.
- Unfold a piece of plastic wrap on a flat surface and place ½-cup rice on it.
- Press the rice, to the size of a sheet of non and place a sheet of non on top of the rice.
- Take ¼ cup of blended sweet potatoes and spread it on the non.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top, followed by ¼-cup cucumber strips in the middle.
- Roll up the plastic wrap from outside and seal the edges by dampening them slightly.
- Keep the wrap in the fridge for at least 3 hours, to let it chill.
- Cut into half-inch slices, with a damp knife and serve cold.
Nigiri (Finger) Sushi recipe
- Fish, of your choice
- Sushi Rice
- Soy Sauce
- Cut the fish into bite-sized pieces.
- Keep a small amount of wasabi on one side of the fish.
- Make a small ball of sushi rice with your hands, after moistening them.
- With the wasabi facing down, press the fish onto the rice and give them an oblong shape.
- Serve with soy sauce on the side.