A child may visit the hospital for a checkup, but to make him or her stay there is another matter. In the fantasy of a child, a hospital is a place where bad children are taken for punishment. And not even sickness can dull their fear. So, if your child is sick and requires to be admitted to the hospital, then be prepared for stiff resistance. However, the hard part comes after you have managed to put your child in the hospital. You have to contend with crying, lack of sleep, escape and other tantrums of the kid as he or she feels desperate or cornered. And you cannot blame your kid. A hospital is a place where few people like to go, and those few are the ones who work there. Forget children even grownups get frustrated staying for a certain length of time in a hospital. Naturally, for children this is worse. The strange surroundings, no activity, the daily testing and probing coupled with the dull hospital food can make any child fall into a depression. That is why the parents and other family members must do their best to make the child’s stay at the hospital more fun and bearable. Taking the burden of isolation and boredom away from the child will make him or her concentrate their thoughts away from the sickness and disease, which will also help in their fast recovery. To help your child feel that the hospital stay is not a punishment, go through the article given below for tips on making stay fun for a child in a hospital.
Tips On Making Stay Pleasant For A Child In A Hospital
- Organize a slumber party. You do not need to invite any friends or eat any sweets or make noise. Just rent a movie and take some snacks that are recommended by the doctor. Turn off the lights and then watch the movie. You can however invite some of your family members or the other children of the hospital.
- Most often children get immensely bored in a hospital. That is why arts and crafts are the best way to avoid this and also utilize their creativity. It can also be a fun activity with coloring, cutting and making pictures.
- Bring toys for your children so that they stay preoccupied with them and also have fun.
- If the child can write then a scrapbook is the best idea. Encourage them to write or draw about the people they meet, collect stickers, or maybe keep a hospital journal.
- If the doctors allow then you can even order a dinner once in a while. This can be quite a welcome change from the hospital food and the children will love it.
- Make the hospital room a bright place. Make it like the child’s own room by bringing in the toys and other items. Try as much as possible to make the child comfortable and not miss the home too much.
- Another thing that you can do is to take him or her around the hospital in a wheel chair. The hospital is a new and unexplored place and the child will enjoy if it manages to stimulate his or her curiosity.
- Bring a bouquet of flowers or of balloons everyday as a treat.
- Encourage them to interact with the nurses and doctors. The best way to do this is to make children play jokes on them. With the tactic approval of the doctors of course. Planning the jokes will make the children while away a lot of time and also drive their mind away from the boredom of the hospital.
- Indulge in compact board games.