Russian Salad, also known as Salade russe and Salade Olivier, finds it origin dating back to as far back as the 1860s. During that time, it was prepared for the first time, by Lucien Olivier, the chef of the Hermitage restaurant (Moscow). The salad became immensely popular and cheap imitations started being served in other restaurants. Initially, the exact recipe of Russian salad remained a closely guarded secret. However, Ivanov, one of Olivier's sous-chefs, attempted to steal it and later, sold his incomplete recipe to various publishing houses, adding to its popularity. With time, the recipe of the salad evolved and it came to be prepared in the way as we know of today. If you also want to know how to make Russian salad, explore the recipe given in the following lines.
Russian Salad Recipes
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 Carrot
- 60 g Peas, shelled
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 75 ml Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- First of all, you will need to cook whole, unpeeled potatoes, along with peeled carrots (cut into pieces).
- Boil a pan of water and then add potatoes and carrot to it. Cover the pan and cook the two, until they become tender.
- In a separate pan, boil water. Once it starts boiling, add shelled peas and keep on cooking them, until tender.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and cut them into small dices. Add diced carrot, peas, chopped pepper, parsley and salt to the potatoes and mix well.
- Take out the mayonnaise in a bowl and add vinegar. Mix well and blend into the potato mixture.
- Your Russian salad is ready. If you want, you can serve it as it is. Another option is to fill it inside the tomatoes.
- Cut off the top of large tomatoes and take out their seeds and pulp. Now, drain them and fill with potato mixture. Place on lettuce leaves and serve.
- 8 to 10 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup Boiled Peas
- 1 cup Potatoes, boiled & chopped
- 1 small Carrot, boiled & chopped
- 1 small Capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 Cucumber, chopped
- A little Cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 - Small Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 tin Pineapple Slices
- 4 tbsp Cream (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In order to make Russian salad, you need to boil peas, potatoes and carrot as well.
- Now, chop the boiled potatoes, boiled carrot, capsicum, cucumber, cabbage and tomatoes.
- In a bowl, put all the vegetables and mix them well. Now, add the pineapple slices as well. Stir the mixture once again.
- Fold in the mayonnaise and then add salt and pepper, as per your taste. Stir the ingredients well.
- Finally, add the cream and mix well. Your Russian salad is almost ready. Now, you just need to serve it properly.
- Take a rice dish or any flat dish and spread the salad on it. Garnish with tomato slices, cucumber slices and pineapple pieces.