Mozzarella cheese is a classic Italian cheese that is made from fresh buffalo milk. It is high in energy and fat. The earliest reference to mozzarella was during the 12th century. The best cheeses are always made from fresh milk. This cheese also has very high moisture content and so must be consumed on the day it is made. However, it can be stored in brine for a couple of days. Though mozzarella cheese is best made with buffalo milk, cow and goat milk can also be used as a substitute. This cheese is very popular and is used in a wide range of cooking, the most famous being its use in the making of pizza. All the ingredients for making mozzarella cheese are easily available in the market and making it at home is a better option than buying, as the super market cheese are quite bland. Read on to know how to make homemade mozzarella cheese.
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Recipe
- Milk (Buffalo preferred, but goat or cow milk will also do) – 3.5 to 4 liters
- Fresh Plain Yogurt - 3 Tablespoons
- Fresh Cultured Buttermilk - 3 Tablespoons
- Rennet - 1 tablet
- Stainless Steel Pot
- Long Knife
- Spoon (with slots)
- Glass Baking Pan
- Boil the milk to a temperature of 32 degree C. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Take ¼ cup of water and dissolve the rennet. Blend it in a mixer and leave it for 45 minutes. In another bowl mix, yogurt and buttermilk with a little bit of milk, and pour it into the rennet – water mix pot.
- Remove the whey from the milk and add two quarters of cold water. Drain it into the colander and leave it over night. The curd will develop.
- Boil water to 85 degree centigrade and add several lumps of the curd into the water. If it breaks then let it sit for a few more hours as the acidity is not right.
- After a few more hours cut the curd into half-inch pieces and keep it on the baking pain.
- Boil two liters of water and using a spoon, pour it over the curds, and stir. Make small balls of the curds.
- Make a salt solution by mixing one tablespoon of salt in one quarter of water. Put the bowls into the solution and refrigerate for two hours or for a few days.
- The mozzarella cheese is ready.
- Milk – 4 liters
- Citric acid – 2 table spoons
- Lipase powder - ¼ tablespoon (dissolved in 2 Tablespoons of distilled water)
- Calcium chloride – ½ tablespoons (dissolved in 2 Tablespoons of distilled water
- Rennet tablet - 1 nos.
- Flaked salt – ½ tablespoon
- Boil the milk in medium heat and gently stir. Dissolve the rennet tablet in half a cup of water.
- When the milk begins to boil, add the citric acid, lipase powder, and calcium chloride while stirring.
- Continue heating the milk until the curd develops. When the milk reaches 32 degree centigrade then, add the rennet water mixture. Continue stirring on low flame.
- After removing from heat set it aside for 20 minutes. The curd will separate from the whey.
- Drain the whey and separate the curd.
- When the entire whey is separated, knead the curd adding the flaked salt little by little.
- Cool the cheese by stretching and pulling.
- Refrigerate and use within a week.