There was a time when mehndi, also known as henna, was used as a body art in South Asia, Southwest Asia, North Africa and the Horn of Africa only. Nowadays, people around the world have started using henna paste for decorating their body. Are you one of those who like to sport a henna tattoo on their body? If yes, then rather than going to the tattoo parlor every time, just prepare the henna paste at your home and make the tattoo yourself. In case you need any help on the same, go through the following lines and find instructions on how to make henna tattoos.
Making Henna Tattoo Designs
- A small packet Henna Powder
- Ceramic Bowl
- Lemon Juice (or Vinegar/ Wine)
- Plastic Wrap
- Tea Tree/ Cajeput/ Ravensara
- Nylon Stocking
- Carrot Bag
- 1 ounce Henna Applicator Bottle
- First of all, put the henna powder in a ceramic bowl and add 1 tsp sugar. Mix well and then add enough lemon juice to get a brownie batter consistency. You can also use vinegar, wine or any other citrus juice in place of the lemon juice.
- Use the plastic warp to cover the ceramic bowl and set it aside. Let the henna sit undisturbed for sometime. When the surface of henna paste turns brownish, remove the cover and add a few drops of tea tree, cajeput or ravensara oil. Mix well, cover the bowl once again and refrigerate.
- When you ready to use the henna paste, take it out of the refrigerator and strain it through a nylon stocking, in order to remove any lumps. Place the stocking over a cup and spoon the henna mixture into it. Your stocking will now be full of henna paste.
- Remove the nylon stocking from the cup and put it into the carrot bag, the toe-end first. Use one hand to form a tight grip on the bag and with the other, pull on the end of the stocking. All the henna paste will get squeezed out in the carrot bag. Pull the stocking out of the bag.
- Now, you have to snip off the end of the carrot bag. Squeeze the paste out of the bag, into the applicator bottle. With this you have the henna paste ready to be used for the purpose of making tattoos.
- In order to prepare your hand, or any other body part, for making the henna tattoo, wash it with hot, soapy water. Now, wipe it clean with an astringent. This will make sure that your skin is free of body oils, thus allowing henna to stick better.
- Finally, you need to draw the henna tattoo. After the design is complete, leave the area undisturbed, till the time the henna paste dries completely. You can fasten the drying process by using a hair dryer. Scrape off the dried henna with your fingernails or the blunt edge of a knife.