If you are a non-vegetarian and going to India, do not forget to taste the delicious chicken biryani prepared there. Brought to the country by Persian travelers, the dish is basically a spicy rice recipe, with lots of chicken pieces thrown in. The main spices and condiments used in its preparation include ghee, peas, beans, cumin, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander leaves, mint leaves, ginger, onions, and garlic. In case your mouth has started right now only and you cannot wait to go to India, to relish this dish, why not make it at home only! All you have to do is read the following recipe on how to make chicken biryani and satisfy your hunger pangs.
Easy Chicken Biryani Recipe
- 1 lb Chicken, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 2 big Onions, sliced
- 2 big Tomatoes, sliced
- 3 Green Chilies, cut slanted
- 2 to 3 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 -2½ tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seed Powder (optional)
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cardamom
- 2 medium-sized Cinnamon Sticks
- A pinch of Saunf (if not available, substitute with 1 tsp garam masala)
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsp Oil (with a little butter or ghee)
- A pinch of Food coloring/Saffron
- 3 cups Basmatic Rice
- 1/4 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina)
- Coriander Leaves (Cilantro)
- Fresh Mint (sautéed in ghee)
- 5 Raisins (optional)
- 8 Cashews (optional)
- First of all, you need to place a pan on flame and add 5 tbsp oil. When the oil gets hot, add the garam masala items and stir well.
- Within a few seconds, add onions to the pan and sauté them for a few minutes.
- Now, add mint leaves and ginger garlic paste to the onions. Again, let them sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, green chilies, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder and salt. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and sauté them for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in some water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Allow the chicken to cook for sometime, till gravy has been formed and the oil comes out on top. Now, set it aside.
- Next, cook the basmati rice, while making sure that the rice strands do not stick together.
- In the meantime, soak the saffron in some water and roast the cashews and raisins separately. Set aside.
- Take a large dish and spread a layer of rice on the bottom. Sprinkle a little saffron water on top, along with the gravy chicken prepared earlier. Mix well.
- Now, add another layer of rice, saffron water, and then gravy chicken. Mix well. Repeat this, till rice and gravy chicken is no more left.
- Garnish the biryani with cashews, raisins, mint and coriander leaves. Serve hot, along with onion raita or cucumber raita and sliced onions.