After going through an accident, one of the worst things that a person can end up with is a fracture. It hurts a lot, heals after a lot of time and in some cases, like foot, leg and knee, makes you immobile too. Whenever you feel that a person around you has suffered from a fracture, ensure that he makes the affected body part totally immobile. The helps in lessening the pain and also ensures that there is no further damage, till the time a doctor comes and takes over. In case of injury in areas like leg, back, neck, and the like, the only option is make the person lie down and not move. However, for fractures in the wrist, lower arm, etc, it is the best to use an arm sling. In the following lines, we have provided step-by-step process, for making a homemade arm sling.
How to Make a Sling for Injured Arm
- Wooden Board
- Surgical Tape
- Piece of Cloth
- Safety Pin
- First of all, you need to get a wooden board for the sling. It should be 2" by 6" or 2" by 9" in size.
- Make the patient hold his/her lower arm in a palm-down potion.
- Hold the board, horizontally, under the lower arm of the patient.
- Make sure that board has been placed along the bottom of the patient’s arm, where you can see the veins.
- Place a roll of gauze under the wrist and in the bend of the elbow.
- Gently wrap the gauze around the wrist and elbow, attaching it to the board.
- Using surgical tape, secure the end of the gauze properly, so that it doesn’t come off.
- Now, take a piece and cloth and cut about 40 inches square from it.
- Cut or fold the square, diagonally, so as to form a triangle bandage.
- Slip one end of the bandage under the arm and over the shoulder.
- Now, take the other end of the bandage and slip it over the other shoulder, in a way that it cradles the arm.
- Take both the ends of the bandage and tie them behind the neck.
- Fasten the edge of the bandage, which is near the elbow, with the help of a safety pin.