Believe it or not, your nails speak volumes about you and your style quotient. So keeping them in shape and looking great is an absolute must. Broken, chipped, yellow nails are not only a big turn-off; they also mar the appeal of your overall personality, which you have taken great pains to put up. Remember, all the endless jazz about nail art, spunky nail enamels, extensions, and piercings will fall short, if your claws look frayed and uncared for. Caring for your nails takes more than just clipping and coloring them. Indulging in regular manicure and pampering your nails every once in a while will ensure that your nails stay happy, healthy and glowing for long. Tired of sporting dry, cracked, frayed nails? Well, it’s time you did something about them. Reckless lifestyle, bizarre eating habits, smoking, alcohol, and even household chores can get your nails screaming for help. It is therefore, essential for you to know how to maintain healthy nailsand ensure that they are well cared for, at all times. Chic, sparkling white nails definitely make for a style statement. So what are you waiting for! Take a dig on the following pointers and ensure that you sport great looking nails always.
Tips To Care For Your Nails
- No amount of nail colors or hand massage will help, if you have grubby, sooty nails! Before you get down to pampering your nails, get hold of a brush, spray some soap on it and gently chafe your claws. Slather your hands with a mild soap, generously rubbing the lather on your wrists, in between your fingers and nails. Scrub the nails with a toothbrush, in small circular movements, to get rid of accumulated dirt inside them. Rinse them off with tepid water, for a squeaky fresh feeling. Pat them dry.
- Once clean, your hand is all set for some sumptuous indulgence. Grab your favorite hand moisturizer. Even olive oil, yoghurt, olive oil, warm milk and lemon juice will do fine. Squirt a little on your palms and gently massage your hands, moving from palms to fingers and nails and back to your palm. Massaging hydrates your skin and boosts blood circulation. Result - glossy, healthy nails!
- Long nails may look oh-so-hot, but if healthy nails are what you are looking for, it’s best advisable to keep the length moderate. Trim your nails to desired length and file the ends in a single direction, to prevent painful nail splits and brittle edges. Rub on some cuticle cream or lip balm over the cuticles and once they are softened, use a Q-tip to gently push the frayed cuticles behind.
- If brittle nails are a concern for you, treating them with extra virgin olive oil may help. Soak your talons in olive oil for 10-15 minutes every day, for around a month. This wonderful indulgence would get you rid of damaged, week and peeling nails.
- Regular exposure to harsh water and powerful suds can cause your claws to fry, spit and peel. Remember to put on gloves every time you head for the kitchen sink or even gardening. Soil can also dry up your nails and make them look grimy and parched.
- Nail art is huge fun. Just pick up your favorite shade of nail enamel, put on your creative caps and get going! However, if you are staying indoors, a clear gloss may be just fine. Overuse of strong nail enamels often leads to discoloring of nail. Stick to lighter shades for everyday wear. Nude shades are a huge rage. Go for them!
- Drinking water not just keeps toxins at bay and your skin glowing, it is known to boost your nail health as well. Water hydrates your nails, keeping them glowing all the way. Don’t forget to gorge on biotin-rich foods, like livers, eggs, whole grains and avocados, for great looking nails.
- Keep away from nail polish removers that contain acetone. Acetone is seriously damaging to your nails. Also avoid using your nails to open cans or lids or other tasks. You will be doing your nails a big favor that way!