High cholesterol is one of the most dreaded health disorders. Cholesterol is a waxy substance that is produced by the liver and is essential for every cell in the body. It even enters the body through the saturated fats present in certain foods. Moreover, there are two types of cholesterol, one of which is considered "good" the other "bad." High-density lipoprotein (HDL) or ‘good cholesterol is the one that scour the walls of blood vessels, cleaning out excess cholesterol. HDL cholesterol is considered normal, when it is anywhere between 40 and 60 mg/dL.
Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) is termed as bad cholesterol. As the name suggests, LDL is bad for the human body and need to be eliminated, because its high content can clog the arteries, resulting in mild to severe heart attacks. There are a number of other health problems as well, which are associated with high levels of cholesterol, such as heart diseases or stroke. The situation can worsen if you are suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes, or overweight. Thus, to have a long and healthy life, it is important to keep the cholesterol levels low. In this article, we will help you know how to lower cholesterol.
Home Remedies for Reducing Cholesterol
To reduce blood cholesterol levels in your body, you can try some of the home remedies given below.
- Drink lots of water everyday. This would keep your body hydrated as well as help in the reduction of bad cholesterol.
- Mudpack on the abdomen improves digestion, liver and kidney functioning, thus helping lower cholesterol.
- Yoga exercises are also beneficial for lowering blood cholesterol. However, it is advisable to consult a yoga guru, regarding the same.
- Exercise regularly, for improving the level of good cholesterol and combating the bad cholesterol.
- Consume foods that are rich in fiber, as they will help you reduce bad cholesterol. This would include green leafy vegetables as well.
- Boil 10 pieces of cinnamon sticks in 5 teacups of water. Now, add a tablespoon of honey and mix well. Let it cool down a bit and then drink. Do this twice daily, to stay away from the problem of high blood cholesterol.
- Use olive oil as the cooking medium. It is highly beneficial for heart and promotes proper functioning of the body system.
- You may include green leafy salads, coated with a very thin layer of olive oil, in your diet.
- High cholesterol level can be reduced by consuming raw onion and the juice extracted from it, in moderation.
- Consuming garlic clove everyday helps in reducing cholesterol level in the body.
Foods That Lower Cholesterol
To keep your cholesterol level low, you can consume certain foods as well. Given below is a list of such foods
- Almonds and Walnuts
- Fish, not fried
- Green vegetables and fruits
- Oat bran
- Onion juice
- Soy products and compounds
- Sunflower seeds
- Unpasteurized milk
- Wheat germ
- Whole grain Cereals
Foods high in cholesterol and saturated fats, such as eggs, organ meats, cheese, butter, beef and whole milk, should be consumed less.