Bed bugs are parasites that feed off the blood of other living beings. Amongst the numerous kinds of bed bugs crawling in this world are the ones that live off the blood of human beings. These slimy creatures can infect every nook and corner of a bedroom. However, they are mainly found inhabiting the bed mattresses, carpets, books and even the linen. They usually come out of their hiding places in the night, just before dawn, suck your blood and then, go back to where they came from. The after effect might range from no feeling at all to inflammation and infection. In this article, we will tell you about home treatment that will help you in getting rid of bed bugs.
How to Kill Bed Bugs
- First of all, thoroughly check for bed bugs in your home. Take a bright flashlight and search every nook and corner of your house, including mattresses, carpets, books, old clocks, wall sconces, electrical switch plates, wall posters, books, magazines, and so on. Make sure to leave none of the things lying near and on your bed unchecked.
- The next step will be to clean your apartment thoroughly. Dirty and damp places are most likely to harbor bed bugs. Wash all your linen in extremely hot water and vacuum your mattress, baseboards, carpet edges, switch plates, floor cracks and all the furniture. Clean each and every showpiece and personal item. Throw away the dirt outside your home.
- The first place where you should attack the bed bugs comprises of their hideouts. Put anti-bug dust, like Drione dust, in all the cracks and crevices. Wall voids, baseboards, switchboards, etc should all be sprinkled with the dust. You can also use liquid insecticides or Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) products. Make sure to wear gloves and a face mask while using such products.
- The next step will comprise of treating the bed. First of all, check out the folds and seams of the mattress, headboard, foot board, box of the bed, frame, etc for bugs. Make a light application of a residual or an aerosol on all these places. Turn the bed and spray liquid insecticides on the underside as well.
- Now, comes the turn of furniture. In every nook, corner and crevice of the furniture items, apply liquid residuals or spray aerosol residual. In case of upholstered furniture, make sure to treat the mattress and box spring with the residuals. Turn the furniture upside down and spray the insecticide there also. Even the metal framing of the furniture should be treated.
- After you have thoroughly cleaned and disinfected your house from bed bugs, do not be completely at ease. Make sure to once again thoroughly re-investigate the entire house after two weeks, for any traces of bed bugs. If you do not encounter any major problems, just use a contact spray with pyrethrins to retreat the major areas.
- If you still think that you have not been able to get rid of the bed bugs, it is the time to get professional help. They will completely disinfect your home and make it bug-free.
- Now, you can rest easy. However, do make sure to check your house occasionally for any signs of bed bugs. Remember, prevention is always better than cure.