How many times has it happened to you that you forgot the name of a person you met a month back or forgot to wish your friend on his/her anniversary. Many times, right? Not every one of us is born with an extremely brilliant mind, which is capable of remembering even the minutest of details. At the same time, memory is not something that you either have by birth or don't have altogether. Memory is something that can be improved with conscious effort. This is why, in the following lines, we have listed some useful ways of improving memory. Go through them and know how to improve your memory.
Tips to Improve Memory
- First of all, you need to convince yourself that you have a good memory. Most of the people keep on nursing the view that they have a bad memory and slowly, their opinion starts turning into reality. So, never ever lose confidence in yourself. This will help you remain motivated and make the task much easier.
- Just like your body, your mind also needs to remain active, to be in shape. If you keep your brain indulged, it will encourage the development of new nerve connections that help improve memory. Exercise your brain by developing new mental skills i.e. learning another language, indulging in puzzles, solving riddles, doing tough crosswords, etc.
- You must have heard of the phrase 'healthy mind resides in a healthy body'. This holds true on case of memory also. Along with your mind, you also need to provide adequate exercise to your body also. This will help improve circulation and efficiency throughout the body, including the brain, and make your mind more alert and receptive.
- Stress is one of the worst enemies of a person - his mind as well as his body. Though, till the chronic stage, there is no physical damage to the brain, the memory power definitely reduces. On top of that, if the stress becomes too much and too prolonged, it can definitely do great damage to the brain, apart from memory also. So, try to take as little stress as possible. Indulge in yoga, meditation and other calming exercises.
- Pay some attention to your diet. Foods that are rich in antioxidants - like broccoli, blueberries, spinach and berries, and Omega-3 fatty acids - like fish, can do great wonders for your brain and memory. Rather than having 3 large meals, eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day. You can also take Thiamine, Vitamin E, Niacin and Vitamin B-6 supplements.
- Work on your observation. Many times, it has been seen that people forget things, not because they have a bad memory, rather owing to the reason that they do not pay much attention and lack proper observation. In order to train yourself to be more observant, take an unknown picture and study it thoroughly. Now, turn it and try to remember the details.
- Whenever we visualize something in our mind, it is much easier to remember it later on. The odds of remembering also increase greatly if the visualization is dramatic and emotional. This is because; we always tend to remember images that are different from the ordinary.
- It has been seen that when we see, hear or think about something continuously, for a longer period of time, we tend to remember it well. So, next time you want to remember something very badly, repeat it many times over. You can either say the particular things silently to yourself or recite it aloud.