Watching their children grow up healthy and happy is indeed a great pleasure for and the ultimate wish of all the parents. Parents’ entire life revolves around their children, in fulfilling their each and every wish or desire. Children have the inherent need to be loved and taken care of. This is for this sole reason why they crave parental attention and need their presence all the time. Any failure in this can often lead to feeling of rejections, making the kids disappointed and rebuffed. If not taken proper care of, these stored up emotions can give vent to stronger reactions later in life. Hence, it is absolutely necessary to take proper care of your child and ensure that he/ she never feels alone and left out. While growing up, every child feels a certain degree of jealousy and anger towards his her siblings. This is but natural; however, the way in which parents choose to tackle with this condition plays a major role in determining what will be the outcome of such a rivalry. Given below are tips on how you help your children cope with such a situation and connect with their sibling.
Helping Your Kid Connect With Siblings
- Take out time from your work schedule, so that you and your family can have some fun time together. Such family gatherings are very essential to maintain a strong bond and help your children connect with each other more deeply.
- Give equal attention and time to each of your children and try to understand their views and opinions in an impartial manner. This is particularly important if they are in the midst of some fight or opinion differences.
- Try to provide some time alone to each of your children, away from his/ her siblings. This time could be spent either with you or with friends. The child could also spend the time reading or playing alone in his/ her room. You should understand that every child need his own space to think and sort out problems in whatever way he thinks is appropriate.
- Set out certain basic rules in your house, which everyone should follow and see to it that everyone gets equal punishment upon breaking the rules.
- Many children feel very uncomfortable in direct confrontations and direct sharing of opinions. To help the siblings connect in a better way with each other, you can promote online chats or video conferencing software, like Skype or Google Voice.
- To help your children know their siblings in a better manner, you can set up private blogs for each of them, wherein they can enlist themselves and share recent information about their lives through postings and comments.
- For siblings who stay far away from each other, you can set up reunions camps and family gatherings. Such camps help a lot in helping the children connect with their brothers and sisters.
- Make it a point never to judge, blame or comment on the feelings and emotions, during any kind of opinion differences among siblings. Hear to what each of them has to say and try to make them understand that they are all one family and that they should care for each other’s feelings and emotions.