For most of the people, setting up a room mainly include painting the walls and ceiling, arranging the furniture and decorating with accessories. Though majority of us forget to give attention to them, curtains also form an important part of a room's décor. They help give a whole new feel to your room. Not only do curtains impart a softer look to a space, but also make it seem complete. Moreover, curtains are not just for the decoration purpose, they work to keep the light, noise, heat, and cold out of your home. There are various types of curtains and can be mainly divided based on their functioning into three categories. They are sash curtain, a draw curtain, and an over-drapery. Sash curtains helps in filtering light and is generally used in most homes. Draw curtains is used to block out the light completely and can be used in your bedroom if you prefer darkness. Drapery, which was called over drapery earlier, is used for decorative purpose and can be used in drawing room, etc. the first thing which you need to think of is the purpose of hanging the curtains. After you have decided on what type of curtain you would need for your home, you need to settle on the fabric. When it comes to fabric, the sky is the limit for you. The choices ranges from cotton, nylon, silk, velvet, linen, lace etc, and you could choose according to your preference and budget. You also need to think about the length for your curtain. It also depends on many factors, on what kind of feel you want for your room. For instance, generally, the long curtains give a formal and dressy look to the room and short length provides a casual and relaxed appearance to the room. There are different kinds of length also for a curtain, which you need to keep in mind. These are the length to the sill, to the bottom of the apron, formal floor length and puddle on the floor. After you have narrowed everything according to your preference, you need to know how to hang curtains. Explore the article to know the correct way of hanging curtains.
How To Hang Curtains
- Tape Measure
- Curtain Rod
- Brackets and Screws
- Step Ladder
- After you have decided on the types of curtain, function and length of curtain, you need to decide the particular area where you want to hang the curtains.
- The next step will consist of determining the type of rod you want to use for your curtains.
- Measure the place (window or door) where you want to hang the curtains, for the size and length of curtain rod you will need. Make sure to keep a little allowance for the extending of the rod on each side.
- Go to the market and buy rods of the exact measurement.
- With the help of a pencil, mark the position of the bottom of the brackets on the wall.
- Attach the brackets to the wall.
- Hold brackets with bottom on the marked line on the wall.
- Keeping the pencil mark as guides, screw holes on the wall. You may also have to make pilot holes, which you can make by beating a nail slightly into the wall to begin the hole.
- Drill holes and attach the brackets to the wall.
- Hang rods and attach curtains to them. the seams of the curtain should face the windows. Now gently spread the curtain evenly so that the pleats look even and beautiful.