A symbol of beauty and vitality, long fingernails are difficult to grow and maintain. In fact, there are many women who would love to flaunt long nails, but fail in maintaining the length of the same. Their nails either tear apart or break, well before reaching a long length. This is primarily due to abuse of nails (such as biting and using them for opening sharp containers), lack of cleanliness, accumulation of dirt and improper diet. To grow long fingernails, and keep them healthy, strong and beautiful, you need to give them a lot of care. With the tips given in the article, you will learn how to grow long and strong fingernails.
How To Grow Long Fingernails
- Do not use your nails as tools for activities which might put pressure on them, such as dialing a phone number and opening containers.
- Chemicals such as detergents and paints can make your nails dry. The best way to prevent damage to your nails is to wear rubber gloves, while washing dishes or doing other types of cleaning.
- Get rid of the habit of biting fingernails and using them to remove food from your teeth. Do not tap your nails on hard surfaces. To grow long fingernails, you need to put a full stop on these habits.
- Keep your nails clean and free of dirt. Wash your hands with clear water immediately after gardening or undertaking similar activities that tend to accumulate dirt under the nails.
- Cuticles act as a bacterial barrier for the nails. They prevent bacteria from entering the nail matrix, where new nails are generated. Therefore, the cuticles should be taken care of. Make use of cuticle creams on a regular basis.
- Overgrown cuticles may accumulate dead cells and prevent proper growth of nails. In such a situation, soak your hands in warm water for 5 minutes, to soften the cuticles. Then, clean them, using a soft-bristled toothbrush. This will clear the dead cells and debris. Next, push the cuticles back gently, using a cuticle pusher. Apply a hand moisturizer thereafter.
- While moisturizing your hands, do not forget to moisturize the nails as well. Rub lotion onto your nails, every time you wash your hands.
- Never bite your hangnails. If you feel that they have grown larger than the desired size, clip them with a small pair of scissors. While clipping the hangnails, never pull them off.
- In case you have very brittle fingernails, soak them in warm water for five minutes, before trimming. You may trim them after bathing as well. Brittle nails can beak quickly. In order to grow them long, make use of a hand moisturizer.
- Do not apply fake nails or thick coats of nail polish, because both of them affect the nail bed. It is very important to allow your nails to breathe. Apply only a thin coat of nail paint on a regular basis. French manicure is the best way to treat the nails.
- A healthy and balanced diet, rich in vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin C), calcium, protein and zinc will help your fingernails grow long and strong.
- Trim your fingernails regularly, if you want them to grow long and be healthy. Clean the debris accumulated under the nails regularly. Use a filer to keep them in proper shape, smoothing the edges as well.