How To Grow And Maintain A Moustache
Keeping a moustache definitely makes your face look quite rugged and gives you a very serious look as well. It adds more volume to your face and accentuates facial features like eyes, chin, jawbones, etc. But how many of you would actually go that extra mile to grow and maintain that moustache with utmost care? Moustaches need regular trimming and ignoring that will make you look like you haven’t even heard of shaving! You need to take care of the moustache and maintain it just the way you do your hair. Check out some tips on how to grow and maintain a proper moustache.
Image: Joel Washing@flickr
Moustache Trimming Tips
- You need to let your stubble grow for almost two weeks, to get a thick moustache. If you don’t like to grow hair on the cheeks, shave it off, but be careful so as not shave off the moustache in the flow.
- Thereafter, take a sharp pair of scissors and trim off the corners carefully, with the scissor blades tilted at an angle.
- Take a comb and comb your moustache hair, to make it straight. For this, you need a comb that has very less spacing between the teeth. You need to comb your moustache so that any curled up hair can be straightened and trimmed properly.
- Your upper lip line should be the template for cutting or trimming your moustache. Ideally, the moustache should not reach the lip line and should be trimmed in accordance to the shape of the lip.
- If you think the moustache is too bushy, reduce its volume by trimming on the top. You may also apply a bit of gel or oil to keep it in place and make it look subdued.
- The moustache should not grow beyond the corner of the lips in length. In case it does, take care to trim it till the corners.
- The key to maintaining moustache is to trim it on a monthly basis. Trimming will cut the dry hair and also promote a healthier growth of hair.
- Do not scratch your moustache if it becomes itchy. Scratching will damage the surrounding skin. To reduce the itchiness, apply a hydrocortisone cream on the area.
- You can use any anti-dandruff shampoo to remove the scaly rashes that develop around and under your moustache. Do not use chemical-based products, as they may result in skin reactions.
- Maintain a well-balanced diet for the proper growth and health of your moustache or beard.
- Drink plenty of water and juices to keep your moustache naturally moisturized. Try to avoid alcohol as much as possible, as it causes dehydration.
- Maintain a proper hygiene routine for your moustache. Wash your face regularly before going to bed, in order to clean the same of any dirt that might have accumulated on it during the day.
- Use a mild soap or shampoo to wash your moustache. This will keep the natural oils and moisture intact.
How to Cite